-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. FOR WOMEN, A CHANCE AT FRONT-LINE DUTY
The Pentagon is scrapping its ban on women serving in combat.
2. CLINTON FORCEFULLY DEFENDS HANDLING OF BENGHAZI
She squares off with lawmakers — including potential 2016 presidential rivals — in often combative testimony before Congress.
3. BOEHNER PLEDGES LONG-TERM MONEY FIX
The GOP, he says, will draft a budget that would wipe out federal deficits in a decade.
4. HOW ISRAELI ELECTION COULD REVIVE PEACE TALKS
As Netanyahu seeks Lapid's support, centrists get leverage to restart negotiations with the Palestinians.
5. THE GOP'S DARK NIGHT OF THE SOUL
Divided and battered, Republicans gather to ponder fundamental changes aimed at keeping them competitive.
6. WHY APPLE'S LOSING ITS SHINE
Stocks plunge 10 percent and analysts warn the company can't keep growing without some completely new products.
7. ALGERIA MILITANTS' LATEST WEAPON: THE TRUTH
The hostage-takers provided the media with timely, accurate information while government officials were silent or gave out murky reports.
8. WHERE BANKERS AREN'T FEELING THE LOVE
Even at Davos, a gathering of the globe's financial elite, banking execs find themselves explaining away recent scandals.
9. EQUALITY — BUT NOT IN A GOOD WAY
Women now smoke more regularly and at a younger age, much like men. They are also more likely to die because of their habit, much like men.
10. CALL IT THE SUPER BRRR
If this year's frigid temperatures are any indication, the 2014 New York-region Super Bowl could be one for the record books.