Mr Raja replied to that letter the same day - it was written at the camp office at his home.
"Vanakkam," he began his letter, "I would like to inform you there was, and is, no single deviation or departure in the rules and procedures contemplated in all the decisions taken by my ministry, and as such full transparency is being maintained by my ministry, and I further assure you the same in [the] future also."
To auction 2G spectrum would be unfair to the new players when incumbents had got up to 10 MHz free, he said, and the issue of spectrum auction had been discussed with the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) and the Telecom Commission "and was not recommended".
Mr Raja added that DoT had earmarked 100 MHz in the 900 MHz and 1800 MHz bands for 2G mobile services.
"Out of this, so far a maximum of about 35 to 40 MHz per circle has been allotted to different operators and [is] being used by them. The remaining 60 to 65 MHz, including spectrum likely to be vacated by the defence services, is still available for 2G services."
There was, therefore, spectrum available for newer players "even after meeting the requirements of the existing operators and licensees".
More players, he reasoned, would lead to better service and improved tele-density at lower tariff. And he said there was a need to allot spectrum quickly.
Image: Family members welcome former Telecom Minister A. Raja on his return to his residence from jail in New Delhi on May 15, 2012.