Price: Euro 2.25 million (USD $3.59 million)
Grounds: 131 acres
Killochan Castle has a documented history dating back to 1324 when Robert The Bruce granted the lands of Killochan to the Cathcarts of Carleton. The Castle remained in the Cathcart family for the next 630 years, one of the lengthiest terms of ownership in one family for a Scottish residence.
The castle was built in 1338 as a four-story Tower House with impregnably thick walls. The entire Clan of the Cathcarts at one time were besieged within the vaulted ground floor. The Castle is designed to withstand any attack of the day. It has well-placed shot holes and gun loops facing in all directions from the turrets, and there is a machicolation over the front door through which boiling oil could be poured on tax inspectors, estate agents and other unwanted guests.
The castle also has a great number of secret passages and stairways built into the stone walls and behind paneling. The former morning room, now a bedroom, was known as the `Laird's Lug' as the Laird, having retired, could eavesdrop from behind the paneling and learn of plots to overthrow him. If the odds were too heavily stacked against him, he also had his escape route through a tunnel from the Saloon under the lawn.
The whopping 131 acres of grounds that come with this castle also contain 2.8 miles of salmon and sea trout fishing on the Girvan Water.