Fortune: $3.79 billion
Company: Sichuan Hongda Group
Liu Canglong is the chairman of Sichuan Hongda Group, one of China's largest zinc and lead producers.
Founded in 1979, as a small fertilizer mill in the southwestern city of Chengdu, the group now owns 37 companies in five sectors - including real estate, finance and tourism. The group has controlling shares in two listed firms - Sichuan Jinglu Group on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange and Sichuan Hongda Co. on the Shanghai Stock Exchange. Last August, subsidiary Sichuan Hongda Co. announced plans to build a $1.64 billion molybdenum-copper refinery by 2015.
Liu holds a 70 percent stake in the group, with his brother Liu Hailong holdingthe remaining 30 percent. Liu's son Jun is president and director of the Hongda Group. In September, the Hongda Co. signed a $3 billion deal with Tanzanian state-run firm National Development Corp. to mine coal and iron ore, in what is the single biggest investment deal to date in east Africa.
As a member of the NPC, Liu has advocated for legislation to make it easier for Chinese companies to do business internationally and promote investment abroad.
The figure is the combined wealth of brothers Liu Canglong and Liu Hailong, who control the group, according to the Hurun Report.