The House on Tuesday passed legislation aimed at helping schools better prepare for severe, sometimes life-threatening, allergic reactions caused by eating peanuts or other food products.
The measure would give grant preferences to states that come up with policies to make epinephrine, a drug used to treat anaphylactic shock, available in schools. It would also encourage schools to permit trained administrators to administer epinephrine to students believed to be having an anaphylactic reaction and require states to review their liability laws to ensure that administrators have adequate legal protections when they come to the aid of students.
The bill, passed by voice vote, was sponsored by Rep. Phil Roe, a Tennessee Republican and doctor, and Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the House's second-ranked Democrat.
"My granddaughter has a severe peanut allergy, and the presence of EpiPens (epinephrine) in schools can be lifesaving," Hoyer said.
Roe and others said that 1 out of every 13 children under age 18, or about 6 million, suffer from food allergies. While some states allow children with known allergies to bring medicine to school, about a quarter of anaphylaxis cases in schools occur among students who are not aware that they have an allergy.
"This will save the lives of children who do not know they have an allergy which is life-threatening," Hoyer said.
"A systemic allergic reaction can kill within minutes," Roe said.
They said epinephrine should be available similarly to the stocking of emergency defibrillators in schools.
Anaphylactic shock can be caused by reaction to such foods as peanuts, wheat, shellfish, milk or eggs, or from bee stings. Epinephrine is effective in stopping the swelling in the throat or tongue that can be deadly.
The legislation now goes to the Senate for consideration.