Your bags are packed for your much awaited holiday and you are ready to go - but have you made adequate preparations for any emergency that may arise unexpectedly? During the process of booking our tickets, how many of us pay for travel insurance too? While we might consider it to be an added expense, in truth, travel cover is extremely necessary
You never know what trouble you might encounter on one of your journeys. Depending on what sort of travel cover you choose, you can be assured of cover for a variety of mishaps. Let's look at the top 5 reasons to buy Travel Insurance:
- Reimbursement in case of lost baggage: The foremost reason you should buy travel insurance is this - you will be reimbursed if anything happens to your baggge. The greatest misfortune of the traveller, this mishap happens to almost everyone at some point of time. If you're insured and you lose your bags, if something is stolen from your luggage or they are damaged during travel, you can rest assured that you will be reimbursed, according to your plan.
- Medical Aid: If you're caught in the worst case scenario of a medical emergency during travel - for example, grave illness that requires hospitalisation, having travel insurance will help. For one, the extra and unforseen expenditure will be covered to a great extent. If in case you forget to carry your prescription and you need it, depending on what plan you have, you can get it replaced and also be connected to customer care executives who can advise you on what to do. Travel insurance is thus especially important if you are travelling abroad.
- Reimbursement in case of cancellations: In case of your trip being cancelled or cut short suddenly for unforseen reasons, being insured will help lighten the burden of expenses incurred while cancelling non-refundable payments and also help reimburse what you've paid up front. If you need to cut your trip short, your cover will help pay for return flights etc.
- Replacement of important documents: If you've got travel insurance, the loss of important documents like your passport or your wallet/credit cards, will not be as serious, because insurance plans can replace vital documents and help cover any extra expenditure, should it arise.
- Safe return home: If you are stranded during your travels in case of any emergency such as political rebellion, natural calamity or terrorist attacks, a well chosen travel insurance plan will pay for any costs incurred and also help you return home safely. Such plans also pay for any cancelled flights.
So you see, travel insurance is not to be rejected on the grounds that you probably won't need it. If you do end up facing serious problems when you are travelling, especially in a foreign country, having insurance coverage in the face of extra expenses or ill health etc. will be a great boon
The author is the CEO of MyInsuranceClub.com, an online insurance price & features comparison portal
For more articles by Deepak Yohannan, please visit MyInsuranceClub.com
You may write to the author at Deepak@myinsuranceclub.com