Singapore: Gold stabilised near $1,310 an ounce on Tuesday as escalating tensions over conflicts in Ukraine and the Gaza strip dented global risk appetite and burnished the metal's safe-haven appeal.
* Spot gold
* The United States, alarmed by escalating civilian bloodshed in an Israeli offensive in the Gaza Strip, took a direct role in efforts to secure a ceasefire on Monday, as the Palestinian death toll jumped to more than 500.
* Despite growing calls for a halt to two weeks of fighting, violence raged on. Israel pounded the coastal strip, killing 28 members of a family in one strike, 11 people in an attack on a high-rise building and four in the shelling of a hospital, medics said.
* Meanwhile in Ukraine, tensions continued to run high even as the remains of some of the nearly 300 victims of the Malaysia Airlines plane downed over Ukraine were making their way to the Netherlands on Tuesday.
* Western governments have threatened Russia with stiffer penalties for what they say is its backing of pro-Russian militia who, their evidence suggests, shot the plane down, killing 298 people.
* Investors sold some positions in bullion after the metal snapped a six-week winning streak last week. SPDR Gold Trust
* Markets are also eyeing upcoming data from the United States, to gauge the strength of the economy and its impact on the Federal Reserve's monetary policy.
* World number-one platinum producer Anglo American Platinum
* Major global stock markets fell and bond prices rallied on Monday as worries over conflicts in the Gaza Strip and Ukraine raised uncertainty for investors.
1230 U.S. CPI mm Jun
1230 U.S. CPI yy Jun
1300 U.S. Monthly home price mm May
1300 U.S. Monthly home price yy May
1400 U.S. Existing home sales Jun
PRICES AT 0009 GMT
Metal Last Change Pct chg
Spot gold 1311.16 -0.43 -0.03
Spot silver 20.88 -0.01 -0.05
Spot platinum 1481.25 -0.35 -0.02
Spot palladium 871.5 -2.5 -0.29
Comex gold 1311.9 -2 -0.15
Comex silver 20.955 -0.057 -0.27
COMEX gold and silver contracts show the
most active months