* Indian Railways has 12617 trains carrying over 23 million passengers connecting more than 7172 stations - equivalent to moving the entire population of the Australia (which is projected to stand at a little over 23 million, according to the Australian government).
* We have more 7421 freight trains carrying about 3 million tonnes of freight every day and our Railways is the fourth in the world - after China, Russia and USA - to carry over one billion tons of freight in a year.
* Total track length in India is 1.16 lakh kilometers.
* Railways employs 63870 coaches and 2.4 lakh wagons
* It has 1.31 million employees in its ranks
* In the year 2013-14, the Railways spent 94 paise out of every rupee earned
* Previous rail ministers focussed on sanctioning projects, rather than completing them, Gowda stated.
359 pending projects
In the last 30 years, as many as 676 projects were sanctioned worth Rs 157883 crore. Of these, only 317 projects could be completed and 359 projects still await completion. This will now require as much as Rs 182000 crore.
99 new projects, only one complete
In the last 10 years, 99 new line projects worth Rs 60000 crore were sanctioned out of which only one project is complete till date. In fact, there are four 30-year-old projects that remain to be completed!
Loss per passenger/km has shot up
Loss per passenger/km increased from 10 paisa/km (2000-01) to 23 paisa/km (2012-13)