The packets of Nestle's Maggi 2-Minute Noodles that triggered India's worst food scare in a decade almost got lost in the post.
Returned months later to the food inspector who first sent the samples - after a detour via Shimla in the Himalayas - the consignment eventually reached a laboratory in Kolkata, where tests found seven times the legal levels of lead.
From there, what began as a minor labelling dispute that according to a local magistrate could have been settled with a Rs 25000 fine, spiralled into Nestle's worst public relations crisis to date in India.
The scare over Maggi instant noodles, one of India's most popular snacks, has gripped increasingly health-conscious consumers.
It has also highlighted shortcomings in the country's food safety network.
Text: Sharat Pradhan and Aditya Kalra, Reuters
Image: Indian girls seen eating noodles at a roadside stall in Ahmadabad, India in this file photo.