Your favourite food joint could be a potential fire hazard. This was brought to light after a ‘fire’ broke out on Friday morning at Kailash Parbat’s kitchen on First Pasta Lane in Colaba.
Fire department officials have little to do as far as ensuring eateries adhere to fire safety norms. As per the fire department, inspection for fire safety is not carried out at various restaurants in the city. It is also not mandatory for them to inspect eateries.
Chief fire officer (CFO) A Sawant, said, “We check the premises only when the joint is set up. We inform the owners about the security measures that need to be taken.” The only other time a joint is inspected is when alteration or addition to the structure is done or a complaint is filed against it.
Deputy CFO P Karguppikar said, “It is impossible to inspect each one of them. We are short of manpower and time. The volume of business most joints generate does not warrant an inspection. Yearly inspections are carried out only where the premises allow lodging and boarding.”
Seetabai Manoja, a resident of First Pasta Lane whose house abuts Kailash Parbat’s kitchen, said, “There was heavy smoke all over. At first, we thought someone was fogging the area.”
The alleged fire led the residents to renew their demand that the eatery’s licence be cancelled. Vijay Advani, joint secretary of First Pasta Lane Association, “Residents have always felt that the kitchen was dangerous. Kailash Parbat’s licence was not renewed. The premises should be an open space instead.” Presently, the issue is pending before the high court.
Owners of Kailash Parbat deny the allegations. “The smoke was due to overheating of oil. The residents are creating unnecessary panic,” said Vicky Mulchandani, partner of Kailash Parbat.
P D Prabhu, officer in charge, Colaba fire station said, “They had doused the fire before we reached. Too much carbon had accumulated in the chimney. The smoke was due to overheated oil. Our seniors will send a detailed report.”
Under license from www.3dsyndication.com