According to a report in the Sunday Times, high
concentrations of herbicide were discovered in Woolmer's stomach and traces were
found inside and outside of a glass from which he had been drinking
The newspaper also said that the detectives are focusing on
two bottles of champagne that were given to him in a gift set. One had been
emptied and the other was left untouched in his hotel room.
58-year-old former England batsman, died at the Pegasus hotel in Kingston March
18, hours after Pakistan had been knocked out of the World Cup.
newspaper revealed three weeks ago that forensic tests indicated he had been
It has now emerged that the poison was a weed killer so rare
that detectives have yet to establish whether it is available in
"Everything was contaminated. The stomach content, the glass,
everything. There was enough to kill him," the newspaper quoted a source as
"We think it's something very unusual, that you can't even buy in
Jamaica. We don't know what form it was in, whether liquid or crystal. The weed
killer was certainly in the glass. We are not sure whether it was in the bottle.
Until we get further results we can't confirm it," the source added.
Woolmer proble: Full coverage
If the herbicide
was not inside the empty bottle, it leaves open the possibility that the glass
was contaminated earlier or that someone may have slipped it in once the
champagne had been poured. It is not known whether he shared the bottle of
champagne with another person.
Pakistan's former media manager Pervaiz
Mir also confirmed that Woolmer had received the champagne.
"I was told
that somebody had brought two bottles," he said.
"He told me he was
mostly a beer drinker because he was a diabetic and it suited his blood sugar,"
Toxicologists say there are potentially hundreds of weed killer
compounds that could be used as poison. Some have no smell or taste, are soluble
in water and can cause an acute reaction within hours.
One expert from
Guy's hospital poisons unit in London said such compounds were usually ingested
accidentally or by people committing suicide.
"The use of a herbicide in
homicide is pretty rare if not totally exclusive to this case," the expert
A number of herbicides are commonly used in champagne production.
But Tom Stevenson, a champagne expert, said: "The growers are extremely careful
and I can't think of any case where even small residues of herbicides or
pesticides have been found in a bottle."
Mark Shields, the deputy police
commissioner leading the investigation, will this week travel to Britain to meet
a team of experts carrying out further toxicology tests and reviewing the