[USA], July 6 (ANI): Following the success of recent adaptations such as 'The Jungle Book' (2016) and 'Beauty and the Beast' (2017), Disney is all set to release live-action remake of animated classic, 'Aladdin'.
The musical adaptation, to be helmed by Guy Ritchie, will star Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott and Will Smith, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Mena Massoud will be seen as the titular protagonist, Aladdin, alongside Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine and Will Smith as the Genie.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Disney faced challenges to lock down cast members to portray the main characters. In 2017, a worldwide casting call began for the lead roles of Aladdin and Princess Jasmine, in search of diverse actors who could sing as well as act. After talk of potential leads from big stars to total unknowns, Aladdin finally found its cast."
Based on the story 'Aladdin and the Magic Lamp' from The Book of One Thousand and One Nights, the musical will feature not only the original classic tunes of its 1992 predecessor, but also new music from composer Alan Menken.
The 'Aladdin' live-action remake will be out in cinemas in 2019.
The movie will also star:
- Marwan Kenzarilay as Jafar, the evil Grand vizier of Agrabah with plans to overthrow the Sultan.
- Navid Negahban as the Sultan, who hopes to find a suitable husband for his daughter, Princess Jasmine.
- Nasim Pedrad as Dalia, the handmaiden to Princess Jasmine. Although this character did not appear in the animated original, she is said to serve as Jasmine's confidante in the 2019 version.
- Billy Magnussen as Prince Anders, a suitor for Jasmine's hand in marriage.
- Numan Acar as Hakim, head of the palace guards and one of Jafar's henchmen. (ANI)