-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. BOY SCOUTS PUT OFF DECISION ON WHETHER TO KEEP EXCLUDING GAYS
Both left and right gear up for an intense campaign to sway the organization as it makes up its mind.
2. YAWNS GREET PLAN TO END SATURDAY MAIL DELIVERY
"It's not like anyone writes letters anymore," says James Valentine, an antiques shop owner in Toledo, Ohio.
3. WHERE THE PENTAGON IS CUTTING BACK
Because of budget woes, only one American aircraft carrier — rather than two — will patrol the Persian Gulf.
4. CIA SECRETS MAY BE SECRET NO MORE
Senators at Brennan's confirmation hearing Thursday are likely to delve into such things as drones, covert bases and harsh interrogations.
5. WHY THE ALABAMA STANDOFF RESEMBLED A WAR ZONE
Civilian law enforcement relied heavily on military tactics and equipment to end the six-day ordeal.
6. SUMMIT EXPOSES MIDEAST FAULT LINES
Efforts to end Syria's civil war run up against the age-old rift between Sunnis and Shiites.
7. HOW A MEXICAN WOMAN AVOIDED HARM IN ACAPULCO ATTACK
The masked men who raped six Spanish tourists in a beach house spared her because of her nationality, authorities say.
8. HAITI LOOKS TO CREOLE AS A CURE
After decades of trying — with mixed results — to educate students in French, schools are being urged to stress the language everyone on the island uses and understands.
9. YOU'RE GOING TO NEED A LOT OF SCRAP PAPER .
The largest prime number — one that can be divided only by itself — has been discovered, all 17 million digits of it.
10. THE NATION'S TOP COLLEGE FOOTBAL RECRUIT PICKS OLE MISS
Defensive end Robert Nkemdiche decides to join his brother at Mississippi, saying: "They're on the rise."