-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today (times in EST):
1. AN OFFER TO HOLD FIRE IN GAZA
Israel agrees to suspend its offensive while the Egyptian premier visits, but Palestinians keep firing rockets.
2. WOUNDED VETERANS JUMP OUT OF A FREIGHT TRAIN'S PATH
Four people died when the Texas parade float was hit at a railroad crossing.
3. HOW LONG IS TOO LONG TO TURN THE POWER BACK ON
The AP's Jonathan Fahey reports power came back after Sandy a little faster than to victims of other storms.
4. "FISCAL CLIFF" SHOWDOWN AT THE WHITE HOUSE
The president meets congressional leaders facing a tricky path to compromise.
5. WHAT $4.5 BILLION OIL SPILL SETTLEMENT MEANS FOR BP'S BOTTOM LINE
It may sound like a lot — but consider that the British oil giant made $5.5 billion in one quarter.
6. PETRAEUS SPEAKS, BUT NOT ON SEX SCANDAL
The former CIA director testifies in Congress about the Sept. 11 attack on the Libyan U.S. Consulate.
7. HARDLY A MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR
Lost Beatles fans looking for the famous Abbey Road often find themselves at a drab train station with the same name.
8. HEALTH CARE BENEFITS, A LA CARTE
More employees face puzzling choices as employers move away from one-size-fits-all insurance.
9. JESSE & JOY ALMOST SWEEP LATIN GRAMMYS
The Mexican brother-sister duo and their pop hit 'Corre!' win four awards, but lose best album to Colombian rockero Juanes.
10. TIME TO STOCK UP ON TWINKIES
Hostess, the maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread, is going out of business.