-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. TURMOIL BUILDS IN EGYPT
The street fighting between supporters and opponents of Islamist leader Mohammed Morsi were the first clashes between rivals since last year's uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak.
2. WHY THE 'FISCAL CLIFF' DEADLINE ISN'T SET IN STONE
The Obama administration could delay some of the tax increases and spending cuts set to take effect at the end of the year.
3. 'FISCAL CLIFF' FIXES THAT AMERICANS FAVOR
People want to raise taxes on the rich — but show little appetite for cuts to Social Security and Medicare, an AP poll shows.
4. A CONFLICT OF INTEREST FOR JAPANESE SCIENTISTS
Yuri Kageyama reports that experts who help set national radiation exposure limits had trips around the world to conferences paid for by nuclear plant operators.
5. POT IS LEGAL, BUT NOT IN PUBLIC
Washington State's law legalizing marijuana took effect, and some celebrated by violating the law, lighting up in public under Seattle's Space Needle.
6. THE FIRST AMERICANS TO GROW MARIJUANA
George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both grew hemp.
7. WHY ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS DROPPING
Experts say a weakened U.S. economy and a graying Hispanic population caused the first dip in a decade.
8. NEW YORK'S WANNABE SUBWAY HEROES
Straphangers say they would have helped save a man pushed off a platform to his death if they had been there.
9. LOOK WHO'S ON THE CATWALK
Transgender models are becoming more popular on runways in Brazil and Paris.
10. SPREADING THE GRAMMY WEALTH
Six different artists each snagged six nominations, including fun., Frank Ocean, Mumford & Sons and Kanye West.