133 Symbiosis students fall ill after eating canteen food

Last Updated: Wed, Jan 20, 2010 12:10 hrs

More than 130 students of Symbiosis Institute of Management and Information Technology were admitted to hospital Wednesday with complaints of food poisoning after they ate contaminated food at the campus canteen.

However, the condition of all of them is stable, doctors said.

'All 133 students are responding well to the treatment and their condition is improving. They will be discharged as per medical advice,' Rajiv Yerawadekar, dean of the Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, told IANS.

The victims, who had their dinner at the college canteen Tuesday night, complained of upset stomach, headache and vomiting Wednesday morning.

They were rushed to the nearby Birla Hospital and three other hospitals and treated for symptoms related to food poisoning.

Some students have alleged that the canteen food was of poor quality but despite several complaints, no steps were taken.

Meanwhile, the college has sent samples of the food served in the canteen for analysis and has assured action against the contractor if the food is found to be of substandard quality.



More from Sify: