WebSify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

2G scam: SC rejects plea against Chidambaram

Source : AGENCIES
Last Updated: Fri, Aug 24, 2012 05:15 hrs

New Delhi: The 2 petitions filed against P. Chidambaram in the 2G scam have been rejected by the Supreme Court today. The court has said that there is no case against the Finance Minister. The court suggested that there was not enough evidence against Mr. Chindambaram.


The petitions were filed by Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy and an NGO Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL). 

The petitions seeked that the minister be probed for his alleged role in the telecom swindle, allegedly masterminded by former telecoms minister A Raja, where mobile airwaves and licenses were sold to carriers in a biased way in lieu of kickbacks.

Swamy's petition, that had been turned down in February by a special CBI court, says that Chidambaram must be held responsible for allowing the telecom scam, that allegedly lost the treasury as much as Rs 1.76 lakh crore, on his watch as Finance Minister.

The application filed by former Supreme Court advocate Prashant Bhushan on behalf of CPIL says that a "thorough investigation" is required to probe the role of Chidambaram in the scandal who allegedly overruled his officers who favoured a fairer allocation process.

Finance Minister Chidambaram, who was also held the post at the time of the 2008 allocation process -- which was declared invalid by the Supreme Court earlier this year -- denies all charges.

blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news