51 taken ill after eating 'prasad' in Bihar

Last Updated: Tue, Nov 19, 2013 06:10 hrs

Patna, Nov 19 (IANS) At least 51 people, including 20 children, were taken ill after eating 'prasad' (offering to the deity) at a village in Bihar's Arwal district, officials said.

Ten of those who ate the 'prasad' and fell ill are critical, and others are out of danger, police said. The incident took place at Khatangi village Monday night, about 70 km from here.

There were 26 men, 20 children and five women who consumed the 'prasad'.

"Ten of them are critical and others are out of danger," a district police officer said.

"All of them were admitted at a government hospital in Kurtha for treatment," the officer added.

Relatives said that soon after eating the 'prasad', the children started complained of stomach pain and started vomiting, exhibiting symptoms of food poisoning.

Police officials said the incident created panic among the villagers in view of mid-day meal tragedy in July in Saran district, where 23 children died after eating poisonous food at a government school.

More from Sify: