Chennai: The death toll in the collapse of an 11-storey under-construction residential building has risen to 53.
"The death toll stands at 53 as of now. Rescue work is continuing in full swing", a senior Tamil Nadu government revenue official said today.
Twenty-seven people have been pulled out alive.
A total of 80 people had been pulled out dead or alive from under the debris of the collapsed structure by rescue personnel since Saturday when the mishap occurred.
It is feared another 20-25 more persons could still be under the rubble, he said.