New Delhi: Ram Singh, the prime accused in the December 16, 2012 Delhi gang rape murder case, has demanded that the case be transferred outside the national capital to ensure an impartial hearing.
Singh has said that he does not want the case to be heard in Delhi or Uttar Pradesh, and is open to it being heard in any other state. He has said that he will move the Supreme Court on this plea.
This comes even as a Delhi court on Thursday extended the judicial custody of all the five accused.
In a hearing on Thursday, Magistrate Namrita Aggarwal sent the rape case to a fast-track court and set a hearing for Monday. A sixth suspect in the attack claims to be a juvenile and his case is being handled separately.
Lawyers for the five have said police mistreated their clients, including beating them to force them to confess to the Dec. 16 crime.
V.K. Anand, a lawyer for one of the defendants, said Thursday that he would petition the Supreme Court to have the rape trial moved out of New Delhi because he doesn't believe his client could get a fair hearing in the capital.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Juvenile Justice Board reserved its order on the age of the minor accused in the case till January 28.
On Tuesday, two school principals, former and current, of the minor accused appeared before the court. Their statements were recorded and the court reserved its order till January 28.