Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin on Wednesday said that diplomatic talks with the Nigerian side is going on in connection with the death of a Nigerian national in Goa, and added that the perpetrators of this crime would be brought to book.
"We are in diplomatic dialogues with them since yesterday, when this matter was raised by them with us. Obviously the Nigerian High Commission is concerned, and there is a sense of anguish at what may have happened to some of their nationals there," he told media here today.
"They have requested us for a thorough investigation, and to bring to book those who are involved in the death of a Nigerian national," he added.
He further said that the Indian Government has assured the Nigerian High Commission an immediate probe into this matter.
"MEA got in touch with the Chief Secretary of Goa who assured us that they are extremely keen to get to the bottom of this, because they see this as an irritant and disturbance in terms of law and order there," he said.
"They said that the investigation is underway. They have also assured us that within 48 hours, they would be providing us a report of the situation surrounding these events," he added.
He also said that the Ministry of External Affairs has assured Nigeria that the two countries have excellent bilateral relations, and that the issue will be settled in a cooperative manner.
"Our acting high commissioner in Abuja had gone over to the foreign office and explained to the Nigerian foreign ministry the situation as we see it. They were very appreciative of our efforts in promptly responding to their requests, and they look forward to further communication with us," he added.
Earlier on October 31, a Nigerian was found dead with stab wounds in Mapusa town of Panaji.
This incident triggered protests by Nigerians in Goa, where they blocked roads and clashed with the police and the locals. (ANI)