Afghan security forces will be banned from calling for NATO air strikes in residential areas to help in their operations, President Hamid Karzai has said.
Karzai said he would issue a decree on Sunday, less than a week after 10 civilians were killed in a night raid in the eastern province of Kunar.
He said in a speech at the Afghan National Military Academy in Kabul, that a decree would be issued that 'no Afghan security forces, in any circumstances can ask for the foreigners' planes for carrying out operations on our homes and villages'.
According to the BBC, NATO-led forces in Afghanistan are not expected to make a formal response until the full decree has been issued.
Nato troops are scheduled to withdraw from Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
They have gradually been handing over responsibility for security to their Afghan counterparts.
According to the report, Karzai said Afghans are 'happy for all their help and assistance so far, but we do not need foreign forces to defend our country.' (ANI)