Manish Tewari terms heckling of TMC leaders as 'extremely unfortunate'

Last Updated: Wed, Apr 10, 2013 12:00 hrs

Terming the manhandling of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and her state's Finance Minister Amit Mitra in the national capital as 'extremely unfortunate', Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Wednesday urged all political parties to maintain restraint, and said that there is no place for violence either in language or action in politics.

Tewari, who was replying to a question on the sidelines of a function here, asserted that violence is not a solution.

"Violence is no way to articulate views or express ones feelings. We should not practice violence in language and in physicality," he said.

Meanwhile, Banerjee, who cancelled her scheduled meeting with Finance Minister P Chidambaram and left for Kolkata, said that the national capital "is not safe."

Alleging that the police did not co-operate her, Banerjee said: "I think this is the first time such a thing has happened in New Delhi. I was also manhandled like anything. I requested the police to open the doors but they said that they don't have the keys."

She also lashed out at the CPM for the attack on her and her Finance Minister.

"Our cadre are peaceful, all ruckus was created by the CPM. It's a double standard game of CPM, they are hypocrites," she said

She also apologised to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh for cancelling her meeting with him.

Meanwhile, the TMC held a protest at the Jantar Mantar here against the heckling of Banerjee and Mitra.

The TMC workers are also staging rallies, holding protests in Kolkata and other parts of the state in condemnation of the incident.

Banerjee and Mitra were heckled outside the Planning Commission office in the national capital by the SFI activists protesting a young comrade's death in Kolkata allegedly in police custody.

Dozens of protestors from the SFI waited for the TMC leaders outside the Planning Commission office and raised slogans against Banerjee when she came with Mitra and other ministers to meet the commission's Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia.

Sudipto, an MA student at Rabindra Bharati University, was among the hundreds of members of the SFI who were protesting against the government for postponing college union elections. They were arrested and put on a bus that was meant to take them to jail. According to the students, the SFI leader succumbed to injuries in baton charge by the police.

The police, however, claims that students were leaning out of the bus, shouting slogans, and that in the chaos, Gupta hit his head on an electricity pole as he was getting out of the bus. (ANI)

More from Sify: