As protests continued outside Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi's palace, his chief of staff announced that the president would address the nation later in the day.
The chief of staff, Refaa El-Tahtawy, said the speech would include important news, but did not specify what that might be.
The announcement came hours after demonstrations erupted into violence on Wednesday night over Morsi's assumption of sweeping powers last month, CNN reports.
"He wants democracy Rocks fly during clashes in Cairo Egypt's media blackout Egypt's prime minister on turmoil Pro-Morsi supporters turn out in force," Morsi's spokesman said.
Later in the day, a spokesman for the Muslim Brotherhood called on protesters to withdraw from the area of the palace 'and not to protest there again due to its significant symbolic position as the president's office.'
Rami Shath, a member of the Revolutionary Alliance and the Free Egyptian Party, said that more marches were promised for Thursday.
"We hold opposition figures, namely Sabbahi and ElBaradei, fully responsible for escalation of violence and inciting their supporters," the Muslim Brotherhood in a tweet, referring to opposition leaders Hamdeen Sabbahi and Mohamed ElBaradei, said.
Other protesters vowed to remain in the streets until Morsi is forced to leave office.
"He's not our president anymore," a protester said.
The powerful Muslim Brotherhood called the protesters 'thugs' who were trying to overthrow the president, the report said.
Opposition leaders are prepared to open talks with Morsi if he withdraws his edict and delays the referendum, ElBaradei, leader of the liberal Constitution Party and a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, said.
Morsi's decree placed his decisions out of the reach of courts until a new constitution is approved.
He said the move was designed to protect the spirit of the popular 2011 uprising that drove former strongman Hosni Mubarak from power, the report added. (ANI)