According to a fire brigade official, the gas leak was noticed around 3.30 a.m. when people in the area started complaining of burning eyes, breathlessness and nausea.
The source of the leakage was traced to the scrapyard at Hay Bunder adjacent to the Lal Bahadur Shastri Nautical Institute in Sewri, southcentral Mumbai. Panic spread in the area as many people complained of gas effects.
Image: A fireman sprays water on cylinders following chlorine gas leakage from one of them at the Mumbai Port Trust on Wednesday, July 14, 2010. (Photographs copyright PTI)