New Delhi, Jan 10 (IBNS) Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday presented his ministry's monthly report card for December.
Following is the text of the statement made by Shinde in his monthly press conference held in New Delhi:
"In a major setback to the terrorists, Army and Security Forces, in joint operations in December 2012 eliminated 14 terrorists (including 8 foreign terrorists) operating in Jammu and Kashmir. It includes a group of nine militants (2 local terrorists and 7 foreign terrorist) involved in various attacks against security forces, who were planning an attack in Srinagar City. Two militants eliminated (including one foreign terrorist involved in Pampori Attack on an Army convoy) were involved in Hotel Silver Star shoot out. The militants eliminated also includes a Hizbul Mujahideen local Commander, wanted for his involvement in the Delhi High Court blast case.
2. During the month of December, 2012, NIA arrested four accused persons involved in incidents of bomb blast at Malegaon in 2006, Samjhota Express in February, 2007 and Mecca Masjid, Hyderabad in May 2007 and in Malegaon in September, 2008. Out of these four, Rajendra Chaudhury, Dhan Singh and Manohar were involved in planting bombs in Malegaon; Rajendra Chaudhury & Tej Ram had planted bombs in Mecca Masjid in Hyderabad and Dhan Singh was involved in bomb blast in Malegaon.
During interrogation the accused persons have admitted their roles in three undetected sensational old crimes namely (i) shooting and injuring a lady nun (Leena) in Narwar Police station of Ujjain (MP), (ii) throwing of grenades at a Mosque in Jammu on 9th January, 2004 in which two persons had died and 15 others were injured, (iii) firing at "S.A.R Gilani" in New Delhi (an acquitted accused of Parliament attack case) in February 2005, (iv) killing of Muzeeb Lala, a Pathan in Ujjain(MP) and (v) killing of Ramesh Ninama (a key witness in the murder case of Piar Singh Ninama of Indore).
3. Sanction amounting to Rs. 281 Crore for construction of Central Academy for Police Training (CAPT), Bhopal by CPWD, Bhopal has been issued on 07th December, 2012. The Academy would impart basic training to directly recruited Dy. SPs and Addl. SPs of the States and also address the training needs of our friendly countries.
4. On 4th December 2012, Dr. Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir, Minister of Home Affairs, Government of Bangladesh met me and discussed bilateral issues relating to security, border management, mutual cooperation to address the menace of terrorism etc. We agreed to enhance cooperation on Coordinated Border Management Plan (CBMP) signed between the two countries to control the illegal cross border activities, reviewed the functioning of the Nodal Points for sharing of information on security related matters and agreed to allow development work within 150 yards of zero line. We agreed to finalise and sign the Revised Travel Agreement (RTA) and also the extradition Treaty in January, 2013. The next Home Minister Level Talks would be held in Dhaka during 28-30 January, 2013.
5. On 12th December, 2012, Mr. Abba Moro, Hon'ble Minister of Interior of Nigeria met me and discussed issues relating to immigration and visa.
6. From 14th to 16th December, 2012, a delegation led by Shri Rehman Malik, Interior Minister, Pakistan visited India for bilateral talks. The issues of Pakistan's continued support to terrorism and operation of terrorist camps in PoK, the prosecution and trial of the key masterminds of Mumbai terrorist attack, bringing of the conspirators of the Mumbai Terror Attack and fugitives of the Mumbai Bomb Blasts of 1993 to justice, firing across the Line of Control and international borders, terrorist financing, fake Indian currency Notes, release of fishermen and civilian prisoners and Indian POWs in Pakistan, Visa and Consular issues, narcotics and drugs trafficking and signing and ratification of the MoU between India and Pakistan and MLAT & Extradition Treaty etc. were discussed.
7. The new Visa Agreement signed between the Governments of India and Pakistan on 8th September, 2012 was operationalized on 14th December, 2012 at New Delhi by the Hon'ble Home Minister of India and the Hon'ble Interior Minister of Pakistan.
8. On 19th December, 2012, Mr. Antonio Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees met me and discussed the refugee issues.
9. From 20th to 26th December, 2012, a four member Indian delegation visited Pakistan to finalise the revised Terms of Reference for the proposed second visit of Judicial Commission from Pakistan with respect to the trial of accused arrested in Pakistan in 26/11 Mumbai Terror Attack case.
10. On 20th December, 2012, the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill 2011 was passed by the Rajya Sabha. This Bill had already been passed by the Lok Sabha on 30.11.2012.
11. Extension up to 31st December 2013 have been given to the "Authority" constituted under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act for the purpose of making an independent review of the evidence gathered in the course of investigation by the National Investigation Agency and to make recommendations for filing Charge-Sheet in these cases within the prescribed time.
12. The 13th meeting of Project Appraisal Committee was held on 19th December 2012 in which proposals of Bajaj Allianz to train 25 candidates and Icon Central Laboratories to train 50 candidates under the Special Industry Initiatives Scheme were approved.
13. A tripartite meetings were held on 5th December 2012 at New Delhi with Kuki National Organisation (KNO), United People's Front (UPF) and Umbrella Groups of Manipur on Suspension of Operations (SoO ). The SoO Agreement with UPF has been extended for nine months but no agreement on further extension of SoO with Kuki National Organisation (KNO) could be reached.
14. As part of effective check on militancy, the activities of UG outfits in the North East were reviewed and notifications were issued for declaring Hynniewtrap National Council (HNLC), United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) and National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) as unlawful Association (for 2 years) under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
Central Armed Police Force (CAPF)
15. An amount of Rs.25 crore has been sanctioned to the CAPFs for acquisition of land and also an amount of Rs.357 crore has been sanctioned to them for construction of office/residential buildings.
16. 614 National Disaster Response Force personnel were deployed along with Boats, Vehicles and required equipment in different parts of the Country for response and relief activities. NDRF personnel carried out the tasks in co-ordination with the authorities of the State Governments and saved 16 human lives and retrieved 18 dead bodies.
17. A meeting was chaired by the Home Secretary on 4th December 2012 with the Directors General of CAPFs to discuss the issue of recruitment of constables (GD) to the CAPFs against vacancies in LWE affected areas by organizing special rallies.
18. On 10th December, 2012, Shri K. Vijay Kumar, a retired Director General of CRPF, has been appointed as Senior Security Adviser to advise on the matters related to security and development in LWE affected areas.
19. The security forces have launched large scale operations in the Maoist strongholds in Latehar district of Jharkhand. This is expected to be a tough battle since the Maoists are entrenched in this area for decades and are familiar with the terrain. In a recent fire-fight in this area, ten security personnel were martyred and some injured. Intelligence input suggests that the Maoists have also suffered significant causalities. The operations will continue till the Maoists are cleared from this area.
20. During the month, the Integrated Online Visa Application System under the IVFRT has been operationalized in Indian Missions at Prague( Czech Republic); Nairobi(Kenya), and Maputo( Mozambique). This facility is now operational at 101 Indian Missions abroad.
21. For the Welfare and monitoring of activities/ performance and general conduct of Foreign Students, the Foreign Student Information System (FSIS) module under IVFRT has been developed to facilitate on-line filling of particulars of foreign students by the respective educational institution(s). The module has been rolled out at FRRO Chennai on Pilot basis.
22. On 24th December 2012, Government set up Justice (Retd.) J.S. Verma Committee to look into the possible amendments in Criminal Laws to provide for speedy justice and deterrent punishment in sexual harassment cases with in 30 days.
23. On 26th December 2012, Government set up a Commission of Enquiry under Justice (Retd.) Usha Mehra on the shocking incident of recent gang rape in Delhi.
24. Yesterday, I reviewed the law and order situation in Delhi with the Delhi Police. We have decided the following in this regard:-
a) Night Patrolling on motor cycles by Delhi Police Personnel;
b) Mahila Help Desk in each Police Station - Cell Number and Telephone Number of Mahila Help Desk to be notified in all schools and colleges in the area of the Police Station; and
c) Committees at each Police Station level to be constituted involving Civil Defence Personnel, Home Guards, Ex-Servicemen and Women NGOs so that issues relating to public particularly women are brought before the Police Officers in a more interactive manner.
25. In December 2012, the President of India accorded assent to the Assam State Vigilance Commission Bill, 2010; the Rajasthan Special Courts Bill, 2012; the Uttar Pradesh Revenue Code Bill, 2006 and the Indian Stamp (West Bengal Amendment) Bill, 2012.
Special Status to the Hyderabad-Karnataka Region.
26. The Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2012 has been passed by both the Houses of Parliament to insert a new Article 371(J ) to grant special status to the Hyderabad-Karnataka region consisting of districts of Gulbarga, Bidar, Raichur, Koppal and Yadgir and additionally include the Bellary District in the State of Karnataka.
27. Along the Indo-Bangladesh Border, 40 Km of floodlighting work was completed during the month of December, 2012.
28. Land identification of 116 out of 131 Coastal Police Stations under Coastal Security has been finalized and land acquisition process in 74 cases has been initiated till December, 2012. Land identification for 27 Jetties out of 60 has been done by Coastal States/UTs.
29. Government has sanctioned 27 ITBP priority roads along Indo-China border totalling 804 Km. against which 562 Km of formation and 241 Km of surfacing work has been completed till December 2012."