Athens, Dec 9 (IANS) Three children died early Saturday in northern Greece after a fire broke out at a farmhouse, authorities said.
The accident occurred at a small village on the outskirts of the city of Kavala. The boys, aged 15, 7 and 5, got trapped inside the wooden house while their three other siblings, mother and grandparents survived in the fire, Xinhua reported.
Initial probe indicated a wood stove being used by the family could have been the reason behind the fire.
The family was asleep when the blaze started. As the house started to fill with smoke, one of the children; a teenager, rushed outside. But realising that two of his younger brothers were left behind, he returned to save them.
It is believed he lost consciousness and choked on the smoke, like his brothers, before the roof collapsed.
Their mother and grandmother suffered light injuries.