WB Assembly: Left, TMC MLAs exchange blows

Last Updated: Tue, Dec 11, 2012 17:34 hrs

The West Bengal Assembly witnessed ruckus as ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) MLAs and their Left Front counterparts exchanged blows on Tuesday.

Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI-M) MLA Gaurango Chattopadhyay was injured in the incident and he was taken to a hospital, reports said.

The state Assembly was repeatedly disrupted on Tuesday.

During the first half of the Assembly session, West Bengal Leader of Opposition in Assembly Surya Kanta Mishra said his adjournment motion on chit funds was heavily edited by Speaker Biman Banerjee.

Trouble started when the Speaker admitted the Opposition´s adjournment motion on chit funds but a discussion on it was not allowed.

The MLAs started protesting after moving to the Well of the House.

Treasury MLAs said attempts were made to attack the Speaker.

According to reports, CPI-M member Nazmul Haque snatched away the microphone of Banerjee.

TMC and Left MLAs clashed in the Well of the House.

The Opposition MLAs later walked out of the House.

The state Assembly again witnessed disruption after it reconvened on Tuesday.

Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee protested against the behaviour of Left MLAs after the House reconvened.

The Speaker then suspended three Left MLAs - Amjad Hussain, Najimul Haq and Sushanta Besra.

The Left Front MLAs and their TMC counterparts again moved to the Well and got involved in a fight, reports said.

According to reports, CPI-M MLA Debolina Hembrom was also attacked during the incident.

The Congress and Left Front MLAs walked out of the House after the incident.

Pertinently, the Congress MLAs remained silent during the incident.

"Time and again we have been denied our demand of admitting an adjournment motion on important issues involving public importance. ..We were protesting against it. You can see how Debolina Hembrom has been physical assault. Gouranga Chatterjee was admitted to the SSKM Hospital with head injuries," Mishra said while addressing a press conference.

He said: "The decision of the Speaker to suspend our members was influenced by the Minister of Parliamentary Affairs. This is unacceptable and goes against the law of the land. We will continue to protest until the suspensions are revoked."

Partha Chatterjee said the entire incident was a result of ´provocation´.

More from Sify: