Arrested Pakistani militants reveal Srinagar CRPF camp attack plot

Last Updated: Fri, Mar 15, 2013 15:36 hrs

Srinagar: The two 'fidayeens' who carried out the suicide attack here killing five CRPF men were from Pakistan, investigations showed, and the Pakistani militant arrested in a major breakthrough was a LeT recruit and assisted by a local.

The two 'fidayeens', who carried out the Wednesday attack, were identified as Haider, a resident of Sahiwal, 180 kms from Lahore, and Saif, a native of Dera Gazi Khan of Punjab Province, the sources said.

In all, two arrests have been made in connection with the attack after the Pakistani militant, 22-year-old Zubair alias Abu Tallah alias Riaz, was held from Chattabal area in the outskirts of the city late last night. The arrest was made while he was talking to his handlers through the SIM card provided by Bashir, a local, the sources said

Zubair, a resident of Multan in Pakistan, is the second person to be arrested. He told the interrogators that he had dropped the two 'fidayeens' (suicide attackers) along with Bashir, who earlier carried out a recce of the force's camp at a school playground.

The local--Bashir Ahmed alias Haroon Bhai-- a resident of Uri in North Kashmir and who worked for the LeT, was earlier arrested in the initial breakthrough that came through a SIM card recovered from one of the two 'fidayeens'(suicide attackers).

Interestingly, Bashir was an informer for various security agencies and this time he appeared to have double-crossed them and instead helped Pakistan-based terror group Lashker-e-Taiba(LeT) in carrying out the attack.

It was Bashir's interrogation that led to the arrest of Zubair.

In the swift operations completed a day after the attack by the Special Operations Group of the Jammu and Kashmir police, the statements of the arrested persons were corroborated according to which the duo were part of the conspiracy to carryout the suicide attack.

Arrested Pak militant dropped 2 'fidayeens' on day of attack

Zubair, a resident of Multan in Pakistan, is the second person to be arrested in the attack on the CRPF camp near the Police-Public school in Bemina on Wednesday after Bashir alias Haroon Bhai was held hours after the attack.

Sources said that Bashir, who hailed from Uri along the Line of Control(LoC) in Baramulla district, had tipped the state police about Zubair's movements which led to his arrest.

The sources said that Zubair told the interrogators that he had dropped the two 'fidayeens' (suicide attackers) hailing from his country along with Bashir, a surrendered militant.

According to the police, Zubair had crossed over from Uri in north Kashmir a month back and was followed by the two 'fidayeens' who hailed from Sahiwal and Dera Gazi Khan in Pakistan.

Zubair showed no signs of resistance when he was being overpowered by the SOG personnel on a roof top in a densely populated area when he was talking to his handlers, they said.

During his night-long interrogation, the arrested terrorist gave details about his recruitment by terror outfit Lashker-e-Taiba(LeT) in Pakistan and also claimed he joined the outfit in view of the abject poverty he was living in.

Zubair has two sisters and an elder brother in Pakistan and the family is reported to be financially weak with the father working in farms, the sources said.

He has undergone several training sessions with LeT including those given by known Lashkar commanders like Hanzullah and Furqaan, police claimed, and said he had attended the last training session six months back.

However, he has not been able to provide the actual identity of the two terrorists who carried out the suicide attack.

The two terrorists, disguised as cricketers, stormed a CRPF camp here in the first major attack in the city in three years. They were killed by the security personnel.
A diary recovered from the slain militants in the Bemina suicide attack has led to the arrest of a man, who had allegedly acted as a guide for the Pakistani militants to enter the city to carry out the attack.

Bashir Ahmad Mir was picked up by Special Operations Group of police hours after the attack on the CRPF camp at Bemina that left five jawans dead and several others injured.

Mir was taken into custody by the cops after tracking down his mobile number which was listed in the diary of the slain militants, intelligence sources said.

They said that Mir, a resident of Uri town along the Line of Control in Baramulla district, had guided the militants from the border town to the city.

Mir's questioning had led the investigators to the arrest of a Pakistani militant, involved in the attack, from Chattabal area of the city yesterday.

Based on disclosures made by Mir, a team of SOG sleuths has been rushed to Uri town and more arrests are likely, the sources said.

Police has set up special nakas to keep a check on people leaving and entering Uri, they added.

Police officials, however, are tight lipped about the developments of the case.

More from Sify: