Arrested terrorist was sent by Pak: Police

Last Updated: Fri, Mar 22, 2013 12:07 hrs

New Delhi/Gorakhpur, Mar 22 (IBNS): A Pakistan trained terrorist arrested from Uttar Pradesh town of Gorakhpur on Thursday night was part of a group sent by Pakistan to launch terror attacks in India's national capital New Delhi around Holi to avenge the hanging of Afzal Guru, police said on Friday, claiming that they foiled a plan to strike.

Arrested terrorist Liaqat Shah was a Hizbul Mujahideen member on the job of finding targets in Delhi for fidayeen attack, said Delhi Police Special Commissioner SN Srivastava at a press conference.

Srivastava said Liaqat was staying in Pakistan where he went in 1997 and since then had been there getting training but crossed over to India occasionally.

"He is definitely Pakistan trained. Interrogation is on, probe is underway. We do not want to say it all now. We will share all these things in due course of time," he said.

Liaqat was arrested when he came over to Gorakhpur.

Police said contrary to some reports he had not surrendered but arrested.

"We are still trying to find his terrorist activities. He is a militant since 1993," said Srivastava.

Police said raids were conducted on the basis of the information coughed up by the arrested terrorist.

The arrested terrorist had a Pakistani passport, said police adding that they have busted a Hizbul Mujahideen module.

Police said according to their intelligence tip-off the group in India is trying to avenge the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru´s hanging.

A microSD card has also been recovered, said police.

The Delhi Police´s Special Cell recovered huge cache of explosives and weapons from a guest house near Jama Masjid in New Delhi. Several AK-47 rifles were recovered too.

"We started search operation from last night itself," said the official adding that more people can be arrested.

"We have CCTV footage of hotel [guest house] and outside both," he said referring to the recovery from the Delhi guest house where a man had checked it with the arms and ammunition.

Police have got 15 day custody of the arrested militant.

Earlier report said Liaqat along with others had carried out recce for possible terror strikes at busy marketplaces during Holi.

More from Sify: