Paris, March 2 (DPA) At least 3,000 people are estimated to have been killed so far in Libya's two-week-old uprising, the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) said Wednesday in Paris.
At a press conference, the FIDH said it was still trying to confirm some of the reports on which its estimate of 3,000 dead was based and would issue a detailed breakdown later.
Ali Zeidan, a spokesman for the Libyan Human Rights League, which is a member of the FIDH, gave a much higher death toll estimate, saying the figure could be as high as 6,000.
This included around 3,000 dead in Tripoli, 2,000 dead in Benghazi and another 1,000 countrywide, he said.
A few days ago UN Secretary General Ban ki-Moon estimated the number of dead at 1,000. The death toll has risen since then as the fighting between Moamer Gaddafi's regime and pro-democracy rebels continues.