Babri demolition: Uma Bharti remains defiant, says ready to face trial

Source : ANI
Last Updated: Wed, Apr 19, 2017 14:53 hrs

[India] Apr 19 (ANI): Lashing out at the Supreme Court's decision to reinstate criminal conspiracy charges against Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders L.K. Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti in the Babri Masjid demolition case, the Union Water Resources Minister on Wednesday remained defiant, saying she is ready to face the trial.

"For Ayodhya, for Ganga, for the tricolour, I'm ready to bear any punishment. Why should I regret it? There was no conspiracy, everything was open in front. There was nothing like this in contemplation," Bharti said.

Bharti turned the allegations against the Congress Party on the emergency when asked if she will resign on the Opposition's demand.

"I will not react on Congress' allegations and demands that I resign. Who are they to say anything? They imposed the emergency, they forcefully sterilised Muslims," she added.

Bharti further said that Ram Mandir needs to be built.

"The (Babri Masjid) case is yet to conclude. I have not yet been pronounced guilty. This country belongs to the cow, Ganga, Ram and the tricolour. I will defend them at any cost," she added.

The apex court has directed the sessions judge in Lucknow to conduct the trial in the Babri demolition case on a daily basis and that the judge will not be transferred. It also ruled out a fresh trial in the case.

The top court has also ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to ensure that witnesses are produced in court everyday so that there is no delay in the Babri demolition case trial. The trial will have to be completed in two years.

However, the apex court has clarified that Kalyan Singh, being Governor of Rajasthan, will not be tried due to constitutional immunity unless he ceases to be in that post. In effect, his trial will begin after his term as Governor ends.

Singh was the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh when the demolition took place.

Others who will face criminal conspiracy charges are Vinay Katiyar, Sadhvi Ritambara, Satish Pradhan, Champat Rai Bansal. The late Giriraj Kishore is also among the names in the original chargesheet.

There were two sets of cases relating to the demolition of the disputed structure on December 6, 1992.

The first involved unnamed 'karsevaks' or volunteers, the trial of which is taking place in a Lucknow court, while the second set of cases relate to the VVIPs in a Rae Bareli court.

With today's order, both these cases are merged and will be heard in Lucknow.

The order comes after the CBI had petitioned the apex court saying 14 people, including BJP leaders, who had been acquitted of the charges under criminal conspiracy, should be tried in the Lucknow Court. (ANI)



More from Sify: