WebSify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

Babri masjid demolition anniversary passes off peacefully

Source : PTI
Last Updated: Sat, Dec 08, 2012 09:37 hrs

Hyderabad: The 20th anniversary of Babri Masjid demolition passed off peacefully with no untoward incident being reported even as the communally-sensitive Old City remained shut in response to a bandh called by some organisations today.

Several commercial establishments at various localities in Old City remained closed due to the bandh called by some Muslim organisations while roads wore a deserted look in the wake of prohibitory orders in place in Hyderabad for three days starting yesterday.

Under the prohibitory orders, issued under section 144 of CrPc, public meetings, dharnas and rallies are banned for three days.

Security was stepped up in the city with Andhra Pradesh Special Police (APSP) and RAF personnel maintaining a strict vigil at historic Charminar and other sensitive areas in Old City that had witnessed a communal flare-up last month.

Commissioner of Police Anurag Sharma said no untoward incident was reported from any part of the city and the situation remained normal.

"Security arrangements will continue tomorrow also (in view of Friday prayers). We request people to support police in maintaining law and order and not to heed to rumours," he said, adding police never stopped anyone from holding prayers.

Patrolling was intensified and police set up pickets on arterial roads in the Old City.




blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news