New Delhi, Apr 16 (IBNS) The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Tuesday said no Indian was injured in the twin bomb blasts in United States that killed at least three people and wounded about 144 near the finish line of the Boston Marathon at Back Bay section on Monday.
"Although no reports have as yet been received of injuries caused to Indian nationals as a result of this despicable act, our Embassy in Washington DC and our Consulate General in New York have been placed on alert," said an official spokesperson of the MEA.
"Indian nationals with concerns to report may do so at the Embassy's emergency number, (001) 202 939 7000," he said.
The MEA said India strongly condemns these attacks.
"The President and Prime Minister of India have already strongly condemned the multiple bombings in Central Boston on April 15. The solidarity and sympathy of the people of India have been expressed by India's leadership, including in a letter of condolence sent by the Prime Minister to the President of the United States of America earlier this morning."
"As has been underlined by India's leaders, India remains committed to the effort to defeat terrorism and to uphold the values that define democratic nations such as ours," said the MEA spokesperson.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condemned the twin bomb and in a letter to US President Barack Obama, said,"I am deeply shocked and saddened by the outrageous terrorist attack in Boston. This senseless and cowardly act of violence has struck a city that has long stood as a symbol of openness, learning and enterprise."
Expressing his sympathy in solidarity, he said,"The people of India join me in condemning the attack in strongest terms. We stand in solidarity and sympathy with the bereaved families, the injured and the people of the United States."
"In keeping with the excellent cooperation between India and the United States to combat terrorism, we offer you our full support," said Singh.
Indian President Pranab Mukherjee also condemned the Boston blasts and said the world must unite together to combat terrorism.
Boston police informed that at about 2:50 pm, on Monday (US time) two large explosions along the Boston Marathon route in the area of 673 Boylston Street shook the area which turned into a scene of blood and utter chaos.
While initially police confirmed two fatalities and over twenty injuries, soon the toll touched three and the figure of wounded was put at 140. An eight-year-old boy was killed.