Constable injured in Delhi rape protest dies; cremated with state honours

Last Updated: Tue, Dec 25, 2012 15:30 hrs

New Delhi: A 47-year-old Delhi Police constable, who was injured during violent protests at India Gate on Sunday against gang rape incident, died on Tuesday after battling for life in a city hospital following which police invoked murder charges in the case.

Subhash Chand Tomar, a graduate in Arts who hailed from Meerut, was cremated at Nigambodh Ghat with police honours in the presence of Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Minister of State for Home Affairs R P N Singh, Home Secretary R K Singh as well as officers and men of Delhi Police.

President Pranab Mukherjee expressed grief over the death of the constable. "I convey my heartfelt condolence at the loss of a young life who lost his life in the call of duty. I share the agony of the family of the deceased," he said.

Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar announced that they will give a job on compassionate grounds to one of the children of Tomar chosen by his widow. Also, all personnel will contribute one day's salary to his family.

"With deep regret, we have to inform you that Constable Subhash Chand Tomar succumbed to his injuries at 6:40 AM today. He suffered internal injuries in his stomach, chest and neck," Kumar said.

Tomar was posted in Karawal Nagar area and was called for maintaining law and order at India Gate area during the protests on Sunday over the gangrape of a 23-year-old girl on December 16 here.

Tomar, who joined the police in 1987, was found lying injured on Tilak Marg and was rushed to the hospital.

Police had already arrested eight persons, including an activist of Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party, earlier and charged them with murder in connection with the injuries caused to Tomar.

One of the accused is a member of Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party. Kejriwal alleged police had wrongly implicated eight persons in the case and that there was no evidence of their involvement.

Police 'implicating' Aam Aadmi Party for cop's death, Kejriwal says

Police had already arrested eight persons, including an activist of Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party, earlier and charged them with attempt to murder in connection with the injuries caused to Tomar.

A senior police official said murder charges will be now added to the case.

AAP national convenor Arvind Kejriwal alleged that the youths were "implicated" by the police in the case.

"There is not a single proof that the government has and they are only framing these youths. Are they taking some revenge from us?" he alleged.

He said the guilty must be punished but if the police do not have any evidence against the eight youths, AAP stands by them.

"If any of those eight including AAP worker Chaman are responsible for the death of the constable, we want them to be punished. But if police are framing them, they have no evidence against these eight youths, we'll stand by them," he said.

Kejriwal warns Delhi Police against implicating the innocent

Kejriwal Tuesday cautioned Delhi Police against implicating "innocents" for the attack on Constable Subhash Chand Tomar during protests Monday against the brutal gang-rape of a woman Dec 16. Tomar died early Tuesday.

Kejriwal said Chaman Singh, who has been associated with activities of the Aam Aadmi Party, is among the "eight youth arrested by Delhi Police under section 307, which is attempt to murder", for assaulting Tomar.

He said if Chaman Singh was involved in the attack and violence, he should be given the harshest punishment. However, Kejriwal added there was an attempt to implicate the youth.

"Some anti-social elements joined agitators and tried to give it a violent turn. We appealed to people not to resort to violence. We checked those who were carrying stones. Police has not been able to arrest those responsible for violence," Kejriwal said.

"If police foists a false case, our party will stand by the innocent youth," he added.

He said that the case relating to the eight arrested youth should be heard in a fast-track court for an early verdict.

Kejriwal said there has to be prima-facie evidence for an first information report (FIR) to be registered.

He said that police had failed to provide security to women in the city and made arrests under attempt to murder charges to hide its inefficiency.

Kejriwal said the authorities had made it seem that the violence had taken place due to him, yoga guru Baba Ramdev and former army Chief V.K. Singh.

Manish Sisodia, a member of Aam Aadmi Party, said police had accepted in court that eight people were arrested from different places and at different times.

Somnath, a lawyer, said the FIR against the accused had disconnected facts. "There is no connection with the chain of events," he said.

Aam Aadmi Party leaders said the case against the eight people were "fictious" and no case could be made out.

Motorcycle stalled when Tomar was set to leave

 If Subhash Chand Tomar's motorcycle had not been repaired on Sunday morning, it is possible the Delhi Police constable may be alive today.

Aditya Tomar alias Sonu, the 18-year-old younger son of the now dead constable, says that his father's motorcycle suffered a flat tyre on Sunday when he was about to leave for work.

Speaking to IANS after his father's cremation Tuesday, Aditya said: "I got the puncture set right. But as he prepared to leave again, the motorcycle got stalled for a second time. I had it repaired once again."

After that, the 47-year-old father of three left their home in Meet Nagar in east Delhi for Karawal Nagar police station where he was posted only two months ago.

"Looking back, I realise that the problems with the motorcycle was some kind of an ominous sign," Aditya said.

"If only the motorcycle had not been repaired and my father had not gone to work, he may be alive today."

On Sunday afternoon, Tomar was brutally attacked on a road leading to India Gate as street protests against the gang-rape of a young woman now in critical condition turned violent.

Tomar was reportedly punched and kicked as he fell on the street bleeding. He lost consciousness and was rushed him to a hospital where he died early Tuesday.

N.P. Rana, a school teacher neighbour of the Tomar family, said the dead man was committed to Delhi Police, which he joined in 1987, and would not take leave even on religious holidays.

"We never saw him rest at home," Rana told IANS at the Nigambodh cremation ground. "I think this is what caused his death. Whenever he was called for work, he would never say no."

More from Sify: