Crime Branch asks eyewitnesses to join investigation in constable's death case

Last Updated: Thu, Dec 27, 2012 06:00 hrs

Delhi Police's Crime Branch has asked the two eyewitnesses, who have contradicted the investigator's version on constable Subhash Tomar's death, to join the investigations.

The police have sent notices to both the witnesses, Yogendra and Paoline, to appear before it in connection with the investigations into the case.

"They came to my home last night, but I was not there. I came home late last night and left early. So, the crime branch personnel once again came to my residence this morning. Then I spoke to them and told them that I would be reaching their office by 12 noon.," Yogendra told ANI.

"They told me that their office is in Chanakyapuri. They told me over the phone that their officers want to talk to me. They should have talked to me earlier," he added.

Yogendra further said that he stands by what he said earlier.

"I stand by I said because that is the truth. There was no pressure on me from the media and the police. I realised that injustice is taking place, therefore I revealed the truth," he said.

Amid the ongoing row over constable Tomar's death, Delhi Police had yesterday released excerpts of report of the post mortem done by a Board of Doctors in the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where he died on Tuesday.

"Myocardial infarction (cardiac arrest) and its complications that could be precipitated by multiple ante-mortem (before death) injuries to neck and chest produced by blunt force impact," said Additional Commissioner of Police K.C. Dwivedi, while quoting from the report as the cause of constable's death.

Yogendra, who claims to be an eyewitness to Tomar's injury during the gang-rape protests at the India Gate here, had yesterday said that the constable was not assaulted by protestors but simply collapsed while walking.

"He wasn't trampled by the protestors, he wasn't assaulted. He just collapsed while walking. There was a girl with me at that time. We both saw him lying on the ground, and then I picked him up and took him to the hospital in a police van," he said.

Paolin on her part said that she saw the constable falling down, and added that there were no injuries on his body.

"We removed his jacket and shoes. I asked whether he can hear me and then I asked him to breathe...He was sweating profusely and there were no injuries on his body. If we had not been there, he would have been dead on the spot," she said.

Doctors, who treated Tomar at the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital here, yesterday clarified that the Delhi Police constable had no major external injury.

"No major injury marks found on constable's body. The constable had no pulse when he came to the hospital. Constable's right knee was injured, had bruises," said RML Hospital Dr. T.S Sidhu.

Delhi Police had earlier arrested eight people in connection with constable Tomar's death case. (ANI)

More from Sify: