Following are May 26th 2015 Current Affairs
PM Modi launches DD Kisan channel
- Indian Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi on Tuesday 26th May 2015, launched a television channel DD Kisan at a function held in Vigyan Bhawan for rural India.
- It is expected to bridge the informations gap in agriculture by bringing programmes for farmers on global trends in crop planting and prices to make better choices.
- PM Modi said that the 24-hour DD Kisan channel would be of great help to the farmers access better technology, information regarding weather and crop prices and would in productivity of agriculture.
- 100crores have been alloted by the government for this new DD Kisan channel and would focus on 140 million farm households in India.
Lt GEN (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma new Governor of Mizoram
- At the Durbar hall of Raj Bhavan in Aizawl on Tuesday 26th May 2015, Lt General(Retd) Mr Nirbhay Sharma was sworn-in as 17th governor of Mizoram.
- Mr Sharma will succeed West Bengal Governor Mr Keshari Nath Tripathi who was given additional charge of Mizoram in April 2015.
- Mr Nirbhay Sharma is the 8th Governor of Mizoram state after the previous Governor Vakkom Purushothaman resigned on 12th July 2014 in protest against after he was transferred to Nagaland.
On day one Tamil Nadu CM Jaya gives a nod to Rs 1,800-crore for welfare schemes
- A day after being sworn in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for the fifth time, J Jayalalithaa on Sunday announced development and welfare schemes worth over Rs 1,800 crore.
- Jayalalithaa launched several schemes, including those for improvement of roads, drinking water facilities and for helping needy families headed by women.
- The major thrust will be for urban and rural roads. She allocated Rs. 1,000 crore for urban roads, including those under Chennai corporation limits as it was necessary to repair roads dug up repeatedly by various agencies like Metrowater and those damaged in rains.
- For the rural roads, the government will spend Rs. 800 crore covering 3,500 km of road network of which 50 per cent will be spent on laying new bitumen roads and the rest for repairing the damaged roads.
Micro Units Development Refinance Agency ( MUDRA ) bank partners with 19 regional coordinates
- MUDRA bank has partnered with 19 state and regional level coordinates to reach the last mile financiers for micro business. This would generate jobs almost 10 times of that being generated by big companies presently.
- This effort will likely transfer small enterprise industry into a 11 lakh crore industry. MUDRA bank was set up by govt. to boost small scale business.
Pact ready for transit of vehicles in four SAARC nations
- To make seamless transit of passenger and cargo vehicles and making cross-border trade cost effective , India and other SAARC countries like Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan are expected to sign a pact next month.
- The sources said that the pact called BBIN, Bangladesh, Bhutan , India and Nepal agreement would manage cargo and passenger vehicle traffic among these four of eight SAARC members.
- There is also possibility for other SAARC nations like Afghanistan,Pakistan,Maldives and Srilanka to join this framework.
- Nitin Gadkari, Road Transport, Railways and Shipping Minister would visit Bhutan on 15th June to sign Motor Vehicle Agreement with transport ministers from Bhutan, Nepal and Bangladesh.
Japan set to join US-Australia military drill
- Japanese troops will participate in a major US-AUS military exercise which is to take place in Australia, for the first time.
- The biennial drill- Talisman Sabre that begins on 7 July, including around 27000 service men, will see the participation of some 40 personnel of the Japan's Grand Self Defence Force ( JGSDF ).
- It aims to improve tactical expertise in amphibian operations and to strengthen Japan-US interoperability, also it comes at a time when US plans to strengthen its ties with its allies in the face of Chinese aggression.
- There's a growing tension in the South China Sea- China is constructing artificial islands in disputed waters( Sparthy Archipelago ) which is also claimed partly by US allies Philippines, Vietnam, and others. China has a separate territorial dispute with Japan over Tokyo controlled Senakaku islands also called Diaoyus.
- The US is sending warships and surveillance aircraft within 12 nautical miles in the South China Sea, which could lead to a stalemate in a stretch of eager traversed by some important global shipping canals.
China and Chile sign currency swap deal
- Chinese premiere Li Keqiang and Chilean president Michelle Bachelet signed a currency swap deal, which aims at deepening economic ties by boosting trade and investment.
- The deal between Chile's central bank and the People's Bank of China, will facilitate the exchange of upto 2.2 trillion pesos ( USD 3.6 billion ) for next three years.
- It's a post of deals signed during Premiere's four nation tour of South American which included Brazil, Columbia and Peru.
- China is Chile's top trading partner, accounting for about 24% of its export including – copper, salmon and wine.
India ranks 4th in APAC in terms of resume fraud
- India is placed at 4th position in terms of discrepancies with 23%.
- Philippines topped with 30% followed by Malaysia at 27% and Japan at 26%.
- Fifth position was taken by Singapore followed by Australia and China at 22%,21% and 18% respectively.
- 2,18,000 checks were carried out in India between January 2014 and April 2015 and reports were given.
- HireRight MD APAC,Mr Edward Hickey, said that because of high competition in the job market, the candidates may decorate or fabricate qualifications or job experiences on resumes to get noticed from others.
Annual CEAT awards for 2015 was given away in May 26
- The CEAT cricket rating ( CCR ) was formed in 1995 with three cricket legends Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell and Sunil Gavaskar as members of governing council. It's the first cricket rating system to reward performances of players.
- RPG group chairman- Harsh Goenka- announced the launch of cricket gear and named Aussie pacer Brett lee as the brand ambassador of CCR.
List of award winners:
International cricketer of the year: Kumar Sangakkara
- Domestic cricketer of the year: R. Vinay, Ranji trophy winning Karnataka team's captain.
- Indian player of the year: Ajinkya Rahane
- T20 player of the year: West Indian player Dwayne Bravo
- International batsman of the year: Hashim Amla
- International bowler of the year: Sri Lankan Rangana Herath
- Popular choice award: West Indian Keiran Pollard.
- Special award: Rohit Sharma for his 264 run chase against Sri Lanka.
- Young player of the year: Deepak Hooda
Alexander Payne to be honoured at Munich International Film Festival
- Munich International Film Festival will pay tribute to American director Alexander Payne with a retrospective of his movies- shorts, features and TV. Among the movies to be played are Election, About Schmidt, Sideways, The Descendants, and Nebraska.
- Payne's last visit to the event was in 1997 when he win High Hopes Award for Citizen Ruth. On June 26, there will be a gala held in his honour.
Rajnish Kumar appointed as SBI's fourth MD
- Rajnish Kumar appointed as the 4th MD of SBI, country's largest PSB. He will be the MD- Compliance and Risk Department, which has been created for the first time by the bank.
- Prior to this, Kumar was MD & CEO of SBI Caps. Current Chairman: Arundhati Bhattacharya has also served the same post in the past.
- The other three serving MDs are Pradeep Kumar( Corporate Banking Group ), B. Sriram ( National Banking Group ) and V.G. Kannan ( Association and Subsidiaries ).
CBEC in full strength with five new appointments
- Country's apex indirect tax policy making body – Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC), has five new members appointed taking the number to full strength. Many of them were vacant for almost a year.
- Presently Kaushala Srivastava is CBEC chairman while Joy Chanderi is the only working member. Srivastava is due to retire in June and Chander will retire this month.
The CBEC consists of a chairperson and maximum of six members.
The new members are :
- Najib Shah- former DG of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence.
- Noorja Shah(wife of Najib Shah)- DG, H.R.D.
- Vanaj Narayan Sharma, Ashok K Kaushal and V.S. Krishnan- chief commissioners.
- Najib, Noorja, Kaushal and Krishnan are 1979 batch I.R.S.( Customs and Central Excise ) officers, while Vanaj Sharma is a 1980 batch officer.
- This appointment of new members will give CBEC a boost in its effort to collect indirect tax revenues comprising service tax, customs and excise duties.
- RBI replaces Rupa Kudva with Naresh Takkar in the banking licenses panel
- Rupa Kudva, former MD of CRISIL has been replaced with Naresh Takkar, MD and chief executive of ICRA( India Credit Rating Agency ) by the RBI as a member of the four membered panel on evaluating applications for payment bank licenses.
- Other three members are Nachiket Mor, Head of panel- Director of Central Board of RBI, Shubhankar Panse, former CMD of Allahabad bank and Deepak Phatak- a professor at IIT Bombay.
Snapdeal acquires mobile e-commerce platform MartMobi
- India's largest online marketplace Snapdeal has acquired Hyderabad-based mobile e-commerce platform MartMobi.its 10th buyout, for an undisclosed sum.
- Hyderabad-based Martmobi's mobile-specific platform and solutions allow small and medium-sized businesses and brands to build mobile stores and apps
- The company, formed in 2008, also provides real-time analytics to improve conversions and user engagement.
Books & Author
Complete story of Indian Reforms- 2G, Power and Private Enterprise written by Pradeep Baijal
- Mr Pradeep Baijal in his self-published book"The Complete Story of Indian Reforms: 2G , Power and Private Enterprice- A practitioners diary" said that the 2G scam trail started under UPA's Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran's regime itself when Pradeep was head of the telecom appointed by NDA government in 2003.
- Pradeep in his book had alleged that former PM had gone to the extent of warning him if he did not co-operate on 2G telecom licences and CBI wanted him to involve Ratan Tata and Arun Shourie in the case.
- India thrash Japan 4-0, win hockey Test series 3-0
- India finally stamped their dominance against Japan, winning the fourth and the final match 4-0 and claiming the hockey Test series 3-0 at the Kalinga Stadium.
Trevor Bayliss: New head coach for England cricket team
- Trevor Bayliss has been officiated as the head of the England national cricket team, becoming the first Australian to hold such a post.
- He succeeds Peter Moores, who was sacked following the team's dismal performance at the World Cup. Trevor's first major task is to prepare the team for Ashes Test series against Australia.
- Bayliss led the Sydney sixers to win Australia Big Six and Champions league in 2012 and IPL title for Kolkata Knight Riders in 2012 & 2014.
Spanish filmmaker Vincent Aranda passed away
- Eighty eight year old Spanish filmmaker Vincent Aranda mostly known for directing " Juana la loca " and " Lovers " – his most famous film, has passed away. He was one of the most renowned Spanish filmmakers.
- He began as founding member of the Barcelona School of Films and was known for bringing Spanish novels to life on big screens; he was known for experimenting and exploring complex social issues.
- He was born in Barcelona in Nov 9, 1926, he made his directorial debut in 1964 with-"Bright Future".
- His latest project was " Luna Caliente " released in 2009, which is an adaptation of the novel by Argentinean Mempo Giordinelli on the Process of Burgos.
Argentinean football player Cristian Gomez passed away
- He died after suffering from a suspected stroke. He collapsed on the pitch during his sides second division encounter with Boca Unidos.
- This was a second death of a football player of Argentina in less than a fortnight. Ten days ago, San Martin de Burzaco defender Emmanuel Ortega succumbed to head injuries.
Longtime Oscar director Marty Pasetta aged 82 passes away
- Marty Pasetta, a veteran director of live TV extravaganzas including 17 Academy Awards shows, has died. He was 82.Pasetta died in La Quinta,California.
- Pasetta directed 17 Oscar telecasts from 1972 to 1988.
- He also directed many Grammy Awards.
- The Smothers Brothers Comedy hour, Elvis Presley's 1973 year "Aloha From Hawaii" concert and many TV serials that got him 8 Emmy awards.
AffairsCloud.com was started to guide banking and civil service aspirants. The site covers subjects like current affairs events, Quantitative aptitude, reasoning, geography, general awareness and so on. High quality notes are provide to help the aspirants highly knowledgeable in all subject. Daily quiz and mock test are conducted on a regular basic to ensure the confidence of aspirants before the face the exam.