Following are Jan 9th 2015 Current Affairs
Kerala initiated “Sampoorna Arogya Keralam” project
Kerala has decided to implement the “Sampoorna Arogya Keralam” which is aimed at to bring all major government health services under one umbrella. At least 42 lakh families are expected to benefit under this scheme.
- After its implementation, people of Kerala will not be required to visit multiple offices or agencies for medical care.
- People can go to enlisted public and private hospitals and get the services through a smart health card.
- The Chief Minister will head the Sampoorna Arogya Kerala Trust, which will monitor and implement the project.
Project oultay – Rs.20 crore
Eligibility for project – Families with annual income below Rs.3 lakh
QCI to make Report Card of Swachh Bharat Mission
To make a report on the progress of Swachh Bharat Mission, Ministry of Urban Developmenthas commissioned Quality Council of India (QCI) which will rank 75 cities on sanitation and cleanliness after an extensive survey.
- The survey conducted by QCI dubbed “Swachh Survekshan” will cover all state capitals and another 53 cities with a population above one million.
- A base-year pre survey was conducted in 2015 before the launch of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Swachh Survekshan is being conducted between January 5 and January 20. The results are expected to be announced on January 25, 2016.
President promulgated Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Ordinance, 2016
President has promulgated Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Ordinance, 2016 to make amendments to the Enemy Property Act, 1968.
Aim: To ensure that the enemy properties that have been vested in the Custodian remain so and they do not revert back to the enemy subject or enemy firm.
- Once an enemy property is entrusted in the Custodian, it shall continue to be entrusted in him as enemy property.
- Law of succession does not apply to enemy property.
- No transfer of any property vested in the Custodian by an enemy and that the Custodian shall preserve the enemy property till it is disposed of.
Earlier Facts: The Enemy Property Act was enacted in the year 1968 by the Government of India.
- In Indo-Pak war 1965 and 1971, there was migration of people from India to Pakistan. So, the GOI took over the properties and companies of such persons who had taken Pakistani nationality.
Operation Green Hunt to hunt Maoists
Communist Party of India (Maoist) took the responsibility for killing 14 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel in Sukma district of south Chhattisgarh.
- Reason behind Attack: According to them the attack was people’s reply to the expansionist policies of the Narendra Modi Government(Centre) and Raman Singh(State). It was an answer to the Operation Green Hunt.
- To stop attacks on the people of Danda Karanya by CRPF and STF( Special Task Force) personnel, rebels in association with the PLGA (People’s Liberation Guerrilla Army) fighters attacked on the CRPF.
Operation Green Hunt was the name used by the Indian media to describe the all-out offensive by government of India’s paramilitary forces and the state’s forces against the Naxalites.
- CRPF Director General: Prakash Mishra
Saudi Arabia is Third Happiest Country
Saudi Arabia became third country for the world’s happiest countries in which almost no European. It has only been cracked to top position by Fiji(beautiful islands) andColombia(suffers from drug-related wars and corruption).
- Saudi Arabia, the country arrests and imprisons critics, executes the Shia religious minority, and does not adequately protect women in law from discrimination and sexual violence as per Amnesty report.
- Research: By WIN/Gallup International
Other Countires’ Ranks
- Eighth: Mexico-despite the number of deaths in the country outpacing that of Afghanistan and Iraq combined between 2007 and 2014 because of gang violence.
- Ninth: Iceland and China
- Tenth: France and Italy
- Greece is the third most unhappy country
BANKING & FINANCE
SBT to sponsor NeFMS under MGNREGA
Union cabinet has instigated an electronic fund management system for direct and faster release of wages under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee (MNREGA) scheme.
- Centre has introduced this scheme in the country for the first time and picked up Kerala for the pilot project.
- Thiruvananthapuram headquartered State Bank of Travancore (SBT) is the sponsor bank for this scheme.
Features & benefits of scheme
The National Electronic Fund Management System (NeFMS) will enable direct and immediate credit of wages into the accounts of the 21 lakh MNREGA beneficiaries of Kerala.
- After due verification of work and muster rolls, the Grama Panchayat and blocks generates an electronic fund transfer order to transfer the wages directly into the beneficiary accounts.
- This pristine platform ensures transfer of wages to the worker’s accounts within 48 hours of the issue of the order.
- This pilot would enable Grama panchayats to take up work as per the agreed labour budget without having to wait for the release of funds.
- The benefit to the Centre is that it would need to release funds only on the basis of actual progress of work and without delay.
Subscribers of New Pension System can now make payments online
Pension fund regulator PFRDA launched a platform for subscribers of New Pension System. With this they can now make their payments online through net banking, credit or debit cards.
- A potential subscriber can register for NPS
- Contribute to his/her Permanent Retirement Account
- Subscribers who already have an NPS account can make contributions through eNPS directly.
HDFC targets fund size of Rs. 5000 crore for HCARE-1
HDFC Capital Advisors has been appointed as an investment manager for the HDFC Capital Affordable Real Estate Fund-1 (HCARE-1).
- HCARE-1: SEBI registered Alternative Investment Fund (AIF).
- Objective: To primarily make medium to long term investments towards development of mass housing where the residential units would be priced in a manner so as to cater to the residential demand of the urban middle-income households.
- Targeted fund size: Approximately Rs. 5,000 crore and the first close will be Rs. 2,700 crore.
- Tenure: 12Years
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Central Banker of the Year Award 2016 bestowed upon Raghuram Rajan
The mastermind that stabilizes the Indian economy, Raghuram Rajan (Reserve Bank of India Governor) has been conferred with the Central Banker of the Year Award (Global and Asia Pacific) for 2016 by “The Banker”, a monthly publication of the Financial Times Group focusing on banking.
- In 2015, Indian GDP grew at 7.5% which was considered as the strongest among large economies.
- The rupee was one of the few stable emerging market currencies in 2015.
- This award recognizes the officials and bankers who have best managed to stimulate growth and stabilise their country’s economy.
Ananth Kumar presented India Pharma Awards 2016
The Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers, Shri Ananth Kumar gave away the 1st India Pharma awards during India Medical Expo 2016 in Bengaluru motivate Indian Pharma and medical devices industries.
- India Medical Expo 2016 was jointly organized by the Department of Pharmaceuticals and Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry from 7th-9th January, 2016 at Bangalore International Convention and Exhibition Centre, Bangalore.
Here is the list of Winners
Overall India Pharma Excellence Award
Cadila Healthcare Ltd
India Pharma Leader Award
Shri Glenn Saldana, CMD, Glenmark Pharmaceutical Ltd
Company of the Year
Bulk Drug Company of the Year
SMS Pharmaceutical Ltd
Innovation of the Year
Cadila Healthcare Ltd
Research & Development Achievement
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Corporate Social Responsibility Programme of the Year
Abbott India Ltd
Medical Devices Company of the Year
Harsoria Healthcare Pvt Ltd
Export Company of the Year
Campus Pharma Pvt Ltd
Bulk Drug Export Company of the Year
SMS Pharmaceutical Ltd
Medical Devices Export Company of the Year
Scope Medical Devices Pvt Ltd
Special Award: PSU Company of the Year
Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceutical Ltd
Azim Premji the ‘most generous Indian’ in Hurun India Philanthropy List 2015
Azim Premji has come out as the ‘most generous Indian’ in the Hurun India Philanthropy List 2015 in a ranking of the most generous individuals from India.
- Premji donated Rs 27,514 crore for education through The Azim Premji foundation, works in 8 states and has more than 350,000 schools.
Author Balkrishna Garg awarded H K Devsare Baalsahitya award
Balkrishna Garg was awarded with the second Harikrishna Devsare Baalsahitya Award 2015
- For collection of poems for children, titled ‘BaalGeet’
- Cash Prize: Rs.75000
- A shawl and a citation
Sahitya Akademi President Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari and National Book Trust Chairman Baldeo Bhai Sharma conferred the award.
Hem Bhatnagar and Yogendra Kumar were also felicitated for their contributions to children’s literature.
Achyuta Samanta appointed as General President of 105th ISC
Dr. Achyuta Samanta has been elected as the general president for the 105th Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) scheduled for 2017-18.
- Samanta becomes the second person from Odisha to be elected as President of the ISC after Prof Prana Krushna Parija (47th Session of ISC in 1960)
- He is also currently serving as member of Executive Council of Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA).
Pavan Kapoor to chair as India’s new ambassador to Israel
Pavan Kapoor, presently High Commissioner of lndia in Maputo, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to lsrael.He will replace Jaideep Sarkar.
Gurbir Grewal designated as the top prosecutor in US County
A Sikh-American attorney Gurbir Grewal (42) has been appointed as the top prosecutor in New Jersey, becoming the first South Asian to occupy the post in the state.
- He was sworn in as acting Bergen County prosecutor by succeeding John Molinelli.
- Grewal was also sworn in as an assistant attorney general in Trenton by acting state Attorney General John Hoffman.
CCI appointed DK Sikri as its new Chairman
Devender Kumar Sikri (62), a former Gujarat cadre IAS officer, has been appointed chairmanof the fair-trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- He will succeed Ashok Chawla.
- Sikri will have tenure of about two-and-a-half years till he attains the age of 65 years.
Gajendra Chauhan appointed Chairman of FTII
Actor-filmmaker Gajendra Chauhan designated as the chairman of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) after vehemently opposed by enrolled students.
- He will chair the FTII society’s meeting in which members of Governing Council will be selected.
- While the 14-member Governing Council is responsible for governance, the 24-member FTII society is considered as the apex body of the 50-year-old institute.
Gajendra Singh Chauhan is best known for his portrayal of Yudhishthira in the mythological television series, Mahabharat (1988–90).
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China’s country code domain “.cn” becomes world’s largest
According to the data released by the China Internet Network Information Centre (CNNIC),China’s country code domain “.cn” has become world’s most commonly used in the internet with 16.36 million users, surpassing Germany’s ‘.de’ domain.
- The “.cn” domain is also world leading in domain resolution service, security and the ratio of benign uses.
- The domain is not only widely used by Chinese institutions and companies but also by overseas institutions, commercial banks and multinationals including Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and Citibank.
China began to require real name registration in 2009, the “.cn” domain is able to protect user’s interests and reduce online theft, phishing and fraud. It is managed through a branch of the Ministry of Industry and Information.
Microsoft has launched the Surface Pro 4 in India
Microsoft has launched the Surface Pro 4 in India in three variants starting at Rs 89,990.
- The Surface Pro 4 powered by Core i5 coupled with 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD is priced at Rs 89,990, Surface Pro 4 with Core i5, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD at Rs 1,20,990 and the higher-end variant with Core i7, 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD at Rs 1,44,990.
Surface Pro 4 is easily one of the lightest hybrid devices of 786 grams with high-end specifications. The tablet comes with a 12.30-inch display with a resolution of 2736 pixels by 1824 pixels at a PPI of 267 pixels per inch.
Wayne Rooney named 2015 England Player of the Year
Professional footballer Wayne Rooney has been named England Player of the Year (POTY)for 2015, retaining the title for the second successive year.
- The England captain became the Three Lion’s all-time top goal scorer with 37% of the votes to claim the England POTY for a fourth time.
- The Manchester United striker scored five goals in his eight England appearances during 2015, including his record-breaking penalty against Switzerland which took his overall international tally to 50 to surpass Bobby Charlton’s record.
Tabuena wins Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of the Month
Miguel Tabuena(21) from Philippines won the Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of Month for December. Tabuena became the first Filipino to win his National Open since 2008.
- First: Miguel Tabuena
- Second: Phachara Khongwatmai(Thailand)
- Third: Himmat Rai(India)
Martin Kaymer and Bubba Watson to finish sixth at the Thailand Golf Championship and also earned a place as one of the four qualifiers for next year’s Open Championship.
Sania, Martina start off 2016 with Brisbane title
Sania Mirza(India) and Martina Hingis(Swiss) won their sixth title in line by lifting the WTA Brisbane trophy defeating German wildcards Angelique Kerber and Andrea Petkovic 7-5 6-1 in mere 69 minutes.
Here are some striking factors about Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis
AffairsCloud.com was started to guide banking and civil service aspirants. The site covers subjects like current affairs, GK Questions, Quantitative aptitude, reasoning, general awareness and so on. High quality notes are providing to help the aspirants highly knowledgeable in all subjects. Daily current affairs 2016 &quiz and mock test are conducted on a regular basic to ensure the confidence of aspirants before the face the exam.