Following are May 28th 2015 Current Affairs
Indian Affairs Atal Bihari Vajpayee to be honoured by Bangladesh
- For his outstanding support of India's independence from Pakistan in 1971 when he was a member of Loksabha, former PM of India Mr Atal Bihari Vajpayee would be honoured by Bangladesh.
- As according to Foreign Ministry spokesmen statement, Bangladesh would hand over the"Friends of Bangladesh Liberation War Award''to present PM Mr Narendra Modi during his trip to Bangladesh in the coming days.
- Fourth North East Youth Festival concluded in Jorhat district of Assam
- The 4th North East Youth Festival which started on 29 May, concluded at Majuli in Jorhat district of Assam on 31 May 2015. It was a three day long festival, participated by about 2100 youth delegates from eight North East States. It was organized by the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) on behalf of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- The Governor of Assam, Padmanabha Acharya was the Chief Guest at the closing ceremony of the Festival and the festival was inaugurated by Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilisers, Ananth Kumar.
- The North East Youth Festival is organized by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sport with the objective to nurture national Integrity and exchange and promotion of the rich cultural heritage of various tribes of North Eastern States.
Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa was sworn-in as the 19th Governor of Arunachal Pradesh
Food and Consumer Affairs Minister launches a BIS App
- A retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer from 1968 batch and former Chief Secretary of Assam, Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa was sworn-in as the 19th Governor of Arunachal Pradesh after the then Governor Lt General (Retired) Nirbhay Sharma was transferred to Mizoram.
- President Pranab Mukherjee had appointed him as Governor on May 12, and he was given the oath of office by the acting Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court Justice K Sreedhar Rao.
- During his service he had he served in various remote areas of the Northeast India including in Mizo Hills during the peak of the Mizo rebellion.
- Union Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan launched a BIS App to register complaints against sub-standard quality of ISI marked products and Hallmark jewellery
- He launched it during a press conference in Delhi as the government has completed one year in office. He also urged all the states to implement Food Security Act sayi.
- Paswan also launched a mobile application through which public can register complains about substandard ISI products.
International Affairs Mauritius designates Ameenah Gurib-Fakim as its first women President
India, Sweden ink six agreements on Pranab Mukherjee visit
- The government of Mauritius has designated Ameenah Gurib-Fakim as the new president of the island nation. She is the first woman to hold the Presidential post of the country. Gurib-Fakim is an internationally- renowned scientist and biologist.
- Former president Kailash Purryag has stepped down as the island's figurehead. He had served as president since July 2012.
India and Sweden inked six agreements, during the visit of President Pranab Mukherjee to Sweden, key Arctic Council member. It should be noted that Mr. Pranab Mukherjee is the first Indian President to visit Sweden.
1. MOU on Co-operation in sustainable urban development
2. MOU on Co-operatipon in the field of Micro Small and Medium enterprises
3. Agreement on Visa extension for diplomatic passports
4. Memorandum of Intent between the Indian Council of Medical Research and the Swedish research council for health working life and welfare
5. Memorandum of intent between India's Central drugs standard Control organization(CDSCO) and the Swedish medical products agency(MPA)
6. Letter of Intent between India's earth system organization(ESSO) and the Swedish Polar research secretariat(SPRS) on collaboration in polar and ocean research.
AppointmentsGeorge Yeo is the new Chancellor of Nalanda University
BCCI's newly-constituted cricket advisory committee
- The Ministry of External Affairs announced that, former Foreign Minister of Singapore George Yeo, will be the new chancellor of Nalanda university. Mr Amartya Sen, a Nobel Laureate, who withdrew his candidature for a second term Chancellor of the Nalanda University, Bihar in Feb 2015, would be replaced by George Yeo as the next Chancellor.
- Mr George Yeo was given Padma Bhushan in 2012 for his contributions in "public affairs".
- Yeo being an integral part of the Nalanda Mentor Group, has played important part in the revival of the ancient university.
- BCCI nominated Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman as the first ever members of the newly created Cricket Advisory Committee of the BCCI. Their inclusion in the panel was announced by BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur through a tweet.
- This Cricket Advisory Committee will advise the BCCI on various progressive steps needed to enable Indian Cricket to be better prepared for the challenges of the future. It will also guide the Indian team to enhance their performance on overseas engagements and also help nurture talents.
- First and foremost on the agenda is the appointment of a new coach or team director.it will have its first meeting on June 6 in Kolkata.
President of the BCCI : Jagmohan DalmiyaBirender Singh Dhanoa Appointed New IAF Vice Chief
Sanjay Gupta is the new chairman of EIL
- Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa, a Kargil war veteran, is the new Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force. He will succeed Air Marshal Ravi Kant Sharma.
- Prior to being appointed as Vice Chief of the Air Staff, he was the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the South Western Air Command. He has also served as Chief Instructor (Air) at the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington in Tamil Nadu, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Intelligence) at Air Headquarters and Senior Air Staff Officer of two operational Commands.
- Dhanoa was commissioned in the IAF in 1978 as a fighter pilot. He is an alumnus of Rashtriya Indian Military College, the National Defence Academy and the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington. He is a Qualified Flying Instructor.
- Sanjay Gupta took over as chairman and managing director of Engineers India Ltd, the state-owned Engineering and consultancy, Procurement and Construction (EPC) company in hydrocarbons and petrochemicals, and will have a term till June 2017. He replaced A K Purwaha who retired yesterday.
- He is a passout from IIT Roorkee, and has about 34 years of experience in the company ranging from planning to implementation of mega grassroot projects in the refineries and petrochemical sector.
- Prior to this, he was Director (Commercial) in EIL.
SportsLalit Bhanot Elected Asian Athletics Association Vice-President
92-year-old Harriette Thompson to become oldest woman to finish marathon
- In the polls held in Wuhan,China former IOA secretary general Lalit Bhanot was elected as Vice-President of Asian Athletics Association AAA.
- Recommended by the Athletics Federation of India AFI, Lalith Bhanot forced his way through 14 strong challenge in the election to be picked as one of the five vice-presidents during the AAA council on the eve of Asian Championships in Wuhan,China.
- As per the statement of AFI director ML Dogra, Mr Lalit was elected as vice-president of AAA after having won easily in the elections.
- Mr Bhanot was secretary of AFI for more than a decade and was also the secretary general of IOA.
- He is now chairman of AFI's planning committee.
- A 92-year-old cancer survivor is seeking a place in the record books as the oldest woman to finish a marathon.
- Harriette Thompson of Charlotte, North Carolina, was running in today's Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in San Diego.
- The oldest woman to complete a marathon was Gladys Burrill, who was 92 years and 19 days old when she finished the 2010 Honolulu Marathon.
- Thompson will be 92 years and 65 days old today, according to race organizers.
Obituary"Friday the 13th" actress Betsy Palmer dies
- Betsy Palmer, best known as Jason's murderous mother, Pamela Voorhees - the original killer in the iconic horror flick Friday the 13th , has passed away at 88.
- Palmer appeared in a number of films, TV and stage shows throughout the 50s, including quiz show I've Got a Secret, iconic musical South Pacific and war flick Mr. Roberts. She took on the role of Mrs. Voorhees in 1980 to pay off her car.
AffairsCloud.com was started to guide banking and civil service aspirants. The site covers subjects like current affairs events, Quantitative aptitude, reasoning, geography, general awareness and so on. High quality notes are provide to help the aspirants highly knowledgeable in all subject. Daily quiz and mock test are conducted on a regular basic to ensure the confidence of aspirants before the face the exam.