Following are June 3rd 2015 Current Affairs
IAP HealthPhone programme launched by the Union government
To address malnutrition in women and children,world's largest digital mass education programme, IAP HealthPhone programme, was launched by the Union government. Menaka Gandhi, Union Minister of Women and child development,launched this programme in New Delhi recently.
- This programme is an initiative of Indian Academy of Paediatrics IAP in partnership with UNICEF,Union
- Ministry of Women and Child Development WCD.
- This programme is supported by Vodafone India .
- Bollywood hero Aamir Khan is the brand ambassador for this programme.
India's fastest train 'Gatimaan Express' completes final test run in record time
- Gatimaan Express, India's first semi-high speed train service with supersonic calliber between Delhi and Agra, without any stoppages, completed a trial run, conducted by the maintenance department of Northern Railway in record time covering a distance of 195 kilometers, at a speed of 160 kph in 115 minutes.
- The train arrived 10 minutes late as the time estimated to cover the distance was 105 minutes. It has 5,400 HP electric locomotive and 12 modern coaches. It was the last trial run of Gatimaan Express, which will now be flagged off soon. The running schedule has also been decided, which would be 8 am from New Delhi and arrival at Agra would be at 9.45 am and the return trip willt start from Agra at 5.30 pm and reach Delhi at 7.15 pm.
- The fare will be 25% more than Shatabdi express. The One-way fare of the air-conditioned chair car would be Rs 690, whereas the executive class fare would be Rs 1,365.
According to new study that ranks countries on how the rule of law is experienced by the citizens,India comes in the top 50 countries for effective criminal justice system. But when it comes to the civil justice, India is one of the worst performing countries.
- USA based World justice project that released rule of law index 2015, analysed 102 countries world over by using a survey of over 1000 respondents from three big cities, alone with local legal experts, in each nation.
WJP Rule of Law index - India's overall rule of law performances places it in 3rd position out of six in South Asian region based countries 10 out of 25 in lower middle income countries and 59th out of 102 nations world wide. Denmark is the top over all performer. Nepal came on top in South Asia region.
Criminal justice - India is placed at 44 rank globally, number 1 in South Asia and number 4 among lower middle income groups . The surveys analysed whether criminal investigation and adjudication is effective, whether it was impartial and free of corruption and whether the rights of the accused were protected.
Civil justice - India is placed at 88 globally,3rd in South Asia and 19th among lower middle income group countries.
Six agreements to boost co-operation signed between India and Belarus
To enhance bilateral co-operation between the countries, India and Belarus recently signed 6 agreements in presence of India's President Mr Pranab Mukerjee on his visit to Belarus. President is on 2 day tour of Sweden and Belarus.
Signed agreements are as follows
- Roadmap for India-Belarus cooperation - aimed to strengthen bilateral relations and co-operation in trade,economy, culture,political, defence, people- people contacts etc.
- Protocol to amendment - To amend the agreement between the 2 nations for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income and Property(capital) of September 1997.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Standarisation and Information Support - signed between Bureau of Indian Standards BIS and State Committee For Standardisation of Republic of Belarus.
- MoU For Manufacturing and Marketing of Light industry Goods - signed between Union Ministry of Textiles of India and Belarusian State.
- MoU for cooperation on Broadcasting - signed between Prasar Bharati PB and National State Television and Radio company of the Republic of Belarus( Belteleradiocompany)
- MoU on bilateral cooperation between Securities and Exchange Board of India SEBI and Ministry of Finance of Belarus
Former U.S. NSA Security Analyst wins Bjornson Prize for Freedom of Expression
Edward Snowden is a former Security Analyst at the United States National Security Agency. The administration branded him "a hacker and a traitor" who endangered many lives by revealing the extent of the NSA spying program.
The Norwegian Academy of Literature and Freedom of Expression awarded Snowden the Bjornson Prize - named after a Norwegian Nobel literature laureate - "for his work protecting privacy and for shining a critical light on US surveillance of its citizens and others." The award includes prize money of 100,000 kroner(US$12,700 or 11,500 Euros).
Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra named King and Queen of Social Media
- BollywoodLife.com, a digital portal for Hindi cinema news, has declared Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra as the king and queen of social media respectively, at the Social Media Film Awards 2015 held in New Delhi.
- An online poll was was conducted by the website in May to select the winners in 16 different categories in which more than 13 million people from India and abroad voted.
- Sonakshi Sinha won Selfie Queen while Varun Dhawan was named Selfie King, . Fitness Icon Male award went to Tiger Shroff and Fitness Icon Female to Jacqueline Fernandez .
- Best Social Media Movement of the Year, Most Witty Celeb, Craziest Fan Following, Instragrammer of the Year, and Most Motivational Celeb are among other categories.
Banking & Finance
LIC of India to operate in Bangladesh as LIC Bangladesh Ltd
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has got the approval from Bangladesh's insurance sector regulator to operate in Bangladesh. It will work under the name of LIC Bangladesh Ltd, which will be a joint venture entity with the paid-up capital of one billion taka (around $13 million ). LIC will own half of this paid-up capital while the other half will be owned by the Bangladeshi partners.
- LIC had previously applied to get itself registered in Bangladesh in 2013, which was turned down by the Bangladeshi authorities, for low capital base.
- LIC chairman S.K. Roy may accompany the Prime Minister during his Dhaka visit on June 6 and 7. Bangladesh Insurance Development and Regulatory Authority (IDRA) chief : M. Shefaq Ahmed.
Emami Limited acquired hair care brand "Kesh King"
- Emami Ltd. , a Kolkata based consumer goods company will be buying the ayurvedic hair oil brand Kesh King from SBS Biotech, a Himachal Pradesh based company. The deal stands at Rs 1,651 crore, which will be funded by a mix of surplus funds and debt.
- Emami will own the entire Kesh King's array of products, including shampoos, conditioners, capsules and hair oil. This will be Emami's fourth acquisition in the past year, including organic personal care company : Fravin, edible oil brand : Rasoi and sanitary napkin : She. Whereas Emami's own portfolio includes Emami 7 Oils and the therapeutic Navratna Cool Oil.
- Emami's Director : Harsh Agarwal, N H Bhansali : Chief Executive (Finance, Strategy and Business development), Emami.
Ravi Shastri to continue as Director of Team India for Bangladesh tour
- Ravi Shastri, former Indian captain will continue as Director of the Indian cricket team for the tour of Bangladesh starting June 10, as confirmed by the BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur. This is a temporary arrangement as the chief coach Dunkan Fletcher's tenure had ended earlier this year after the World Cup and the board is yet to name a permanent coach for the team.
- India will play the one off Test against Bangladesh on 10 June in Fatullah, followed by three ODIs in Mirpur (June 18, 21, 24). Among others Mr. Sanjay Bangar, Assistant Coach (Batting), Mr. B. Arun, Assistant Coach (Bowling) and Mr. R. Sridhar, Assistant Coach (Fielding), will assist Mr Shastri during the tour. Mr. Biswarup Dey will be the Administrative Manager. Mr. Rishikesh Upadhayaya has been appointed as Logistics Manager for the tour.
- Ravi Shastri had served as the Team Director during the tour of Australia and the subsequent World Cup earlier this year. He had also travelled with the Indian team to Bangladesh in 2007 as cricket manager after Greg Chappell resigned from the coach's post. He has represented India in 80 Tests and 150 ODIs for India and was part of the 1983 World Cup winning team.
Irwin Rose-Nobel Prize winner in chemistry passed away
At the age of 88, Irwin Rose a famous biochemist, who won the Nobel Prize for his discovery of molecule' Ubiquitin', breathed his last. He shared this Nobel Prize with Avram Hershko and Aaron Ciechanover. Irwin Rose died in his sleep in Deerfield, Massachusetts as according to spokeswomen Janet Wilson , University of California,UCI, Irvine.
- As per UCI , chancellor Howard Gillman's statement Irwin Rose always had good intellect and unwavering eagerness about the fundamental chemical and biological process which are basics of life.