Following are June 6th 2015 Current Affairs
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates first Oil Spill Response Centre for Mumbai & JNPT Harbour
- Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping, Nitin Gadkarion 5 June 2015 inaugurated the India's first of its kind Tier-I Oil Spill Response Centre (OSRC) for Mumbai & JNPT Harbour (Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust). This will enable India in tackling pollution and oil spills in and around Mumbai easily.
IMA's first Jan Aushadhi medical store launched in Delhi
- Indian Medical Association's first Aushadhi medical store was inaugurated by Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers Hansraj Gangaram Ahir on 5 June 2015 at IP Estate IMA's headquarter in New Delhi.
- The Minister said that about 1000 Stores of Jan Aushadhi would be opened to provide quality generic medicines at affordable rates to the entire population of the country.
- The store, which will offer over 118 commonly used drugs in their generic forms at 80-90 per cent lesser cost than its market price. The store will remain open from 9.30 am to 6.30 pm on all working days of the week. A full-time qualified pharmacist will not only dispense drugs at the store but also counsel patients about the drug-drug and drug-food interactions and report adverse events.
India's first green police station inaugurated at New Delhi's Maurice Nagar
India's first green police station was inaugurated at Maurice Nagar in north Delhi on the occasion of world environment day.
The numerous provisions being taken by the PS for preservation and safety of the environment are:
- The green police station will have its roof coated with slaked lime for keeping it cool.
- Earthen pots will be placed on the roofs and water sprinkler system will be put in place which will be reduce the overall temperature of the police station.
- All light fittings at the police station have been changed to LED lights, to reduce energy consumption. All fans installed at this police station will be of five star ratings.
- The toilets installed here are almost waterless.The PS will be furnished with bamboo furniture. .400 palm plants have been planted in the police station and its nearby surroundings to bring down carbon consumption.
- The general public will be provided recycled paper for filing their complaints.
- Visitors to the police station will also be educated about the need to preserve the environment.
South Korea Tests New Ballistic Missile
- South Korea test-launched a new ballistic missile, a month after North Korea said it has test-fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile. This missile has a range which can cover whole of North Korea.
- It was developed under a new agreement with the United States that lets Seoul extend the weapon's range to up to 800 km (500 miles).
- President Park Geun-hye was present during the launch.
Modi announces $2-bn credit to Bangladesh
- PM has announced a new $ 2 billion line of credit for Bangladesh and promised quick implementation of the previous line of credit of $ 800 million and full disbursement of $ 200 million.
- Modi also oversaw the exchange of documents related to the Land Boundary Agreement (LBA), to settle the 41-year-old border dispute, under which 111 border enclaves will be transferred to Bangladesh in exchange for 51 that will become part of India.
- Indian Missions would be opened in Khulna and Sylhet while Bangladesh Mission will be opened in Guwahati.
India, Bangladesh launch 2 bus services
- To bolster connectivity and augment people- to-people contact, two bus services, Kolkata-Dhaka-Agartala and Dhaka- Shillong-Guwahati , connecting key cities in the two countries, were flagged off during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's maiden visit to Bangladesh. This was flagged off by Mr. Modi, his Bangladeshi counterpart Sheikh Hasina and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- During the flag off ceremony, Modi handed over a symbolic ticket of the Agartala- Dhaka-Kolkata service to Hasina and in return, she handed over a symbolic ticket of Dhaka-Shillong-Guwahati service to him. Banerjee gave Hasina a symbolic ticket of the Kolkata- Dhaka-Agartala service.
- There will be two buses on the Kolkata-Agartala-Dhaka route, one of which is to be run by the West Bengal government and the other by the Tripura government. While, the bus in the Dhaka-Shillong-Guwahati route will be run by the Bangladeshi government. Buses on this route will run three days a week each from Guwahati and Dhaka, respectively.
- At present, only two separate bus services between Dhaka-Kolkata and Dhaka-Agartala are operational. The new service will link West Bengal to three North Eastern states of India via Bangaldeshi capital Dhaka.
UK Author Ali Smith won 2015 Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction
- UK Author Ali Smith won the 2015 Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction for her novel How to be Both. Her work has already made her winner of the prizes including the Costa novel award and the Goldsmiths, Saltire Literary Book of the Year and shortlisting for the Man Booker.
- How to be Both depicts the stories of a teenage girl in modern-day Cambridge and a 15th-century Italian artist,. It is divided in two parts – 1st part is told from the point of view of George, a 16 year-old girl grieving for her mother; another is told by a 15th century Italian painter, Francesco del Cossa, of talkative sort who has fallen to earth, or shot through time, to look down on her in spirit.
Reliance power to Invest $ 3 Billion in Power Plants in Bangladesh : Modi
- Anil Ambani-led Reliance Power signed an agreement to invest $ 3 billion in Bangladesh, for setting up a 3,000 MW mega power plant and a 2 million tonnes floating LNG import terminal in Bangladesh, which is severely power short, during PM Narendra Modi's two-day visit.
- The power plant will be set up in three years from the date of signing power purchase agreement (PPA) and the equipments used will be under appropriate warranties from General Electric (GE), USA and the other global suppliers.
- Sameer Gupta : Executive vice president of Reliance Power.
Banking & Finance
Kotak Mahindra, ING Bank ink MoU for cross-border business
- Kotak Mahindra Bank and ING Bank signed an agreement for exploring opportunities arising from cross-border business, investments and trade flows.
- Co-operation in areas such as trade, finance, remittances and services related to non-resident Indians, funding to counter-parties' corporate relationships, fee-based products, direct banking and digital strategy, and cross-border debt capital markets and M&A are in the list.
- ING Bank, will give clients from The Netherlands( where it is based ) and other 39 countries, where it is active in commercial banking, access to Kotak's services in vast Indian market while Kotak will offer the combined clients in India, the opportunities of ING's international network.
- Mark Newman : CEO of ING Commercial Banking Asia.
- ING Bank holds 6.5 per cent stake in the country's fourth largest private sector lender : KOTAK MAHINDRA.
Serena wins third French Open and 20th Grand Slam title
- Serena Williams won her 3rd French Open and 20th Grand Slam title atRoland Garros on Saturday. She defeated Czech Lucie Safarova by 6-3, 6-7 (2-7), 6-2.
- The American is now two short of Steffi Graf, the open era leader, and four off Margaret Court, the all-time leader. Having won the Australian Open at the start of the year, Williams is also halfway to the coveted calendar year grand slam.
- Serena's win over Safarova was her fifth three-set victory of a tournament that was a struggle almost from day one. She willed herself to victory against Safarova, who was appearing in her first grand slam final.
Dravid named India A, and U-19 coach
- Rahul Dravid, former Indian head, was appointed as the coach of the India A and Under-19 cricket teams at the first meeting of the newly formed BCCI's advisory committee.
- The panel - comprising legends Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman - met at the Cricket Association of Bengal office at the Eden Gardens with BCCI President Jagmohan Dalmiya for their first meeting.
- Dravid has played 164 Tests and 344 ODIs, he was also being considered for the post of national coach, but he stated his inability to do take up this post, personal commitments being the reason.
Lalita Babar, Vikas Gowda bag a gold each in Asian Athletics Championships
- India's discus thrower Vikas Gowda and woman steeplechaser Lalita Babar won gold medals, while India's G. Lakshmanan won the silver medal at the Asian Athletics Championships, going on in Wuhan, China.
- This was a second consecutive gold, for Gowda who achieved a distance of 62.03 meters to seal the top spot.
- Lalita outclassed China's Li Zhenzhu and Zhang Xinyan, to top the women's 3,000 metres steeplechase in 9:34.13 minutes, a competition record.
- Lakshmanan completed the 10,000 metres race in 29:42.81 minutes, to finish second, only behind Bahrain's Elhassan Elabbassi, who won in 28:50.71 minutes.
Barcelona lifts fifth Champions League crown
- Barcelona won the champions league trophy for the fifth time after they outclassed Juventus ( 3-1 ) at the Olympic Stadium.
- The three goals were from Ivan Rakitic after four minutes, Luis Suarez in the 68th minute and Neymar in stoppage-time.
- Although Alvaro Morata of Juventus had equalised after 55 minutes, they weren't able to stop the two goals coming, which sealed the deal for Barca.
- Barca also won La Liga and the Spanish King's Cup this year.
Hollywood actor Hiroshi Koizumi dies
- Hollywood actor of Japanese origin, Hiroshi Koizumi, famous for his string of monster film appearances such as in Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster and Dogara, the Space Monster, passed away at the age of 88.
- He was Born in 1926, Koizumi graduated from Tokyo's Keio University and joined public broadcaster NHK as an announcer. He made his Hollywood debut in 1951.
AffairsCloud.com;; was started to guide banking and civil service aspirants. The site covers subjects like current affairs events, Quantitative aptitude, reasoning, geography, general awareness and so on. High quality notes are provide to help the aspirants highly knowledgeable in all subject. Daily quiz and mock test are conducted on a regular basic to ensure the confidence of aspirants before the face the exam.