Following are June 9 2015 Current Affairs
IOC to invest Rs 15,000 crores to raise Panipat refinery capacity
By the year 2020, Indian Oil Corporation, India's largest oil firm, is planning to invest Rs 15000 crores to raise the capacity of its Panipat refinery to 34% from the current 20.2 million tonnes MT. According to an senior official of the company,only preliminary studies are on and the expansion would take five years with the investment amount of Rs 15000 crores.
- IOC has eight refineries and few weeks before started a new refinery at Paradip, Odisha.
- The total capacity is now 69.2 MT, IOC has got top slot among the refineries.
- IOC now has overtaken Reliance Industries having twin refineries at Jamnagar,Gujarat.
- Essar oilis the only other private firm having 20MT capacity per year unit at Vadinar,Gujarat.
International Indian Film Academy Awards 2015 Winners
- The 16th IIFA Awards, 2015 took place in the Malaysian capital city of Kuala Lumpur. This International Indian Film Academy awards is a three-day-long burlesque held every year.
- Vishal Bharadwaj's 'Haider' was the most celebrated film of the award function, with a total of six awards.
The complete list of winners are tabled below:
- Best picture – Queen
- Best regional film – Lai Bhari ( Marathi )
- Best story – Vikas Bahl, Chaitally Parmar & Parvez Shaikh (Queen)
- Best direction – Rajkumar Hirani (PK)
Finance Ministry exempts non-AC restaurants from service tax
- Finance Ministry stated that hat only air-conditioned or air-heated restaurants are required to pay service tax.
- Presently, service tax is charged on services provided by restaurants, eating-joints or messes that have the facility of air-conditioning or central air-heating in any part of the establishment at any time during the year in relation to serving of food or beverages.
MoU Between Indian Army and Punjab National Bank
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Indian Army and Punjab National Bank (PNB) on the Defence Salary Package. The signing ceremony was chaired by the Adjutant General, Lt Gen Rakesh Sharma and was attended by top dignitaries of PNB headed by Shri N K Arora, General Manager and Shri Subodh Kaushik, General Manager, Govt Business Division.
IIT Delhi ranked best engineering college in India
- IIT Delhi has been ranked as the best engineering college in India while Kolkata's Jadavpur University is ranked the best government engineering college in the country.
- The rankings are made by EDU, a niche online platform on higher education, with RAND Corporation, USA.
- The ranking has been done on the basis of college's employability, research productivity, faculty qualifications, and students' demand for education at the institution.
Cyclone ASHOBAA intensified into severe cyclonic storm
- The deep depression created over Arabian Sea is more likely to be intensified into cyclonic storm Ashobaa.
- This may cause rainfall over Karnataka, Konkan and Goa as well as south Gujarat during the next 24 hours.
Bhitarkanika witnessing denudation in mangrove vegetation
- Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary in Odisha, is witnessing an alarming denudation in large tracts of mangrove vegetation. It is a major coastal eco-system and one of the biggest estuarine crocodile habitats, The mangrove forest division has revealed that the denudation or saline blank formations have been noticed in Bhitarkanika forest block which is measured at 1700 acre.
Iran arrests former Vice-President under Ahmadinejad
- Iran arrested its former Vice President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in a second of its kind arrest of the officials of former administration.
- Earlier in January, Iran's Supreme Court convicted and sentenced former Vice President Mohammad Reza Rahimi to five years in prison and fined him 10 billion rials ($300,000).
- The foes of Mr. Ahmadinejad repeatedly alleged his government of massive corruption.
ICICI Bank to appoint MK Sharma as non-executive Chairman
- ICIC bank has appointed MK Sharma as new non-executive Chairman of the ICICI Bank Board for period of 5 years.
- MK Sharma was former Vice Chairman of Hindustan Unilever Ltd.
- Mr Sharma will take place of KV Kamath who stepped down from the board to become the first President of New Development Bank, created by BRICS nations.
Flood of fire written by Amitav Ghosh released
- This is the third instalment of the trilogy. First was 'Sea of Poppies' while the second instalment was 'River of Smoke'.
Sourav Ganguly: Cricket, Captaincy and Controversy written by Saptarshi Sarkar
- The book, "Sourav Ganguly: Cricket, Captaincy and Controversy" is written by Saptarshi Sarkar, a digital marketing professional and a huge fan of Sourav Ganguly. This book was released in April 2015.
- This is a biography of former Indian Cricket Captain Sourav Ganguly. It deals with the various aspects of his cricketing career.
- Previous books published on Sourav Ganguly are: Ganguly – Sourav Ganguly by Vinod Tiwari in 2005 and Sourav Ganguly, the maharaja of cricket by Debashish Datta in 2007.
India gets 3rd Spot at 21st Asian Athletics Championship
India finished with 3rd spot in the final medal's tally of 21st Asian Athletics Championship. Overall India bagged 13 medals including 4 Gold, 5 Silver and 4 Bronze. The list was topped by China followed by Qatar. Japan and Bahrain finished with 4th and 5th place respectively.
The Asian Athletics Championships is an event organized by the Asian Athletics Association.
The Gold medallists from this event qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics. Lalita Babar, Vikas Gowda, Inderjit Singh and Tintu Luka of India qualified for Olympics from this championship
List of Winners
- Lalita Babar -3000m steeplechase
- Vikas Gowda – Discus Throw
- Inderjit Singh – Shot put
- Tintu Luka – 800m sprint
- MR Poovamma – 400m Sprint
- Lakshmanan Govindan -10,000m
- Liksy Joseph – Heptathlon
- Jinson Johnson – 800m
- Jisna Mathew, Tintu Luka, Debashree Majumder, MR Poovamma – 4x400m relay women's
- Dharambir Singh – 200m
- Lakshmanan – 5,000m
- Purnima Hembram – Heptathlon
- Sarbani Nanda – 200m
Winners of 2015 French Open title of Tennis
The 114th edition of the French Open event took place at the Stade Roland Garros from 24 May to 7 June. It is the second Grand Slam event of the year.
- Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland defeated Novak Djokovic of Serbia ( 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4 ), his fourth win in 21 meetings against the Serb.
- It is his first French Open title and second grand slam title after Australian Open 2014.
- He is the only the second Swiss to win French Open men's single title after Roger Federer.
- Wawrinka became the oldest champion in Paris since Andres Gomez in 1990.
- Serena Williams of United States defeated Lucie Safarova of Czechoslovakia (6-3 6-7 (2) 6-2 )
- This was her third French Open title (earlier wins in 2002, 2013) and overall 20th Grand Slam title.
Men's Doubles Title
- The pair of Ivan Dodig of Croatia and Marcelo Melo of Brazil defeated Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan of US (6–7(5–7), 7–6(7–5), 7–5 ).
Women's Doubles Title
- The pair of Bethanie Mattek-Sands of US and Lucie Šafářová of Czech Republic defeated Casey Dellacquaof Australia and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan (3–6, 6–4, 6–2 ).
- For Mattek-Sands it's her 16th career doubles crown and third with Safarova.
Mixed Double's Title
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Mike Bryan pair from United States defeated Lucie Hradecká Czech Republic and Marcin Matkowski of Poland (7–6(7–3), 6–1 ).
- Bryan won his fourth grand slam mixed doubles title; he won the other three with American Lisa Raymond (2002 US Open, 2003 Roland Garros, and 2012 Wimbledon).
7th International junior shotgun: Anantjeet wins skeet gold
- Anantjeet Naruka became the star performer by winning two gold medals, one individual and other team gold medal for India in the 7th International Junior Shotgun Cup in Orimattila, Finland.
- He won his medals in junior men's skeet category. In Skeet Team Junior category he teamed up with Angadvir Bajwa and Arjun Mann.
Goa to host 5th Youth Delphic Games in Feb 2016
- Goa will be hosting the fifth Youth Delphic Games from February 1 to 14 in 2016.
- This event is expected to attract 125 countries with over 7000 participants, six art categories and over 70 sub-categories, with many parallel artistic and fun events and activities for everyone.
- The youths between the age of 15 – 25 years will participate under the motto "Celebrating Arts and Cultures".
About Delphic Games
The Delphic Games which was founded in 1994, is regarded as the twin sister of the Olympic Games with a 2500-year history in ancient Greece and has travelled across eight countries in the past 20 years in two formats.
The Delphic Games celebrate six art categories namely, musical arts and sounds (singing, instrumental music, electronic sounds), performing arts (dance, theatre, circus, puppetry) language arts (literature, poetry, moderation), Visual arts (painting, graphics, sculpture, installation, fashion, photography), Social arts (communications, Internet, media, pedagogic, didactic) and ecological arts & architecture (urban planning, landscaping, preservation and conservation of nature, monuments).
AffairsCloud.com;; was started to guide banking and civil service aspirants. The site covers subjects like current affairs events, Quantitative aptitude, reasoning, geography, general awareness and so on. High quality notes are provide to help the aspirants highly knowledgeable in all subject. Daily quiz and mock test are conducted on a regular basic to ensure the confidence of aspirants before the face the exam.