Dead Delhi cop: Bike puncture could have saved Tomar's life

Last Updated: Wed, Dec 26, 2012 05:04 hrs

New Delhi: If Subhash Chand Tomar's motorcycle had not been repaired Sunday morning, it is possible the Delhi Police constable may be alive today.

Aditya Tomar alias Sonu, the 18-year-old younger son of the now dead constable, says that his father's motorcycle suffered a flat tyre Sunday when he was about to leave for work.

Speaking to IANS after his father's cremation Tuesday, Aditya told IANS: "I got the puncture set right. But as he prepared to leave again, the motorcycle got stalled for a second time. I had it repaired once again."

After that, the 47-year-old father of three left their home in Meet Nagar in east Delhi for Karawal Nagar police station where he was posted only two months ago.

"Looking back, I realise that the problems with the motorcycle was some kind of an ominous sign," Aditya said.

"If only the motorcycle had not been repaired and my father had not gone to work, he may be alive today."

On Sunday afternoon, Tomar was brutally attacked on a road leading to India Gate as street protests against the gang-rape of a young woman now in critical condition turned violent.

Tomar was reportedly punched and kicked as he fell on the street bleeding. He lost consciousness and was rushed him to a hospital where he died early Tuesday.

The policeman was cremated with state honours.

N.P. Rana, a school teacher neighbour of the Tomar family, said the dead man was committed to Delhi Police, which he joined in 1987, and would not take leave even on religious holidays.

"We never saw him rest at home," Rana told IANS at the Nigambodh cremation ground. "I think this is what caused his death. Whenever he was called for work, he would never say no."

Tomar had brush with death in '89

Subhash Chand Tomar had his first brush with death 23 years ago when he was seriously injured in a bomb blast in a DTC bus in 1989 at Mall Road here.

The fourth son of his parents, Tomar - who was from village Barauli in Uttar Pradesh's Baghpat - overcame the trauma very soon.

His 22-year-old son Deepak told IANS: "Just two years after he joined Delhi Police in 1987, my father was seriously injured in the Mall Road DTC bus blast incident. He was severely injured."

The 47-year-old constable died early Tuesday due to respiratory and cardiovascular problems.

He was rushed to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital by his colleagues, but was declared dead Tuesday around 6.40 a.m.

"He was my guide. His sincerity to his job used to inspire me to join Delhi Police. I have been preparing for Delhi Police's entrance exams" said Deepak, who is also in his second year B.B.A. course from ITS institute in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.

More from Sify: