A New York hospital has been sued for 22,000 dollars after a "dead" patient opened her eyes as doctors were readying themselves for organ harvesting.
According to the Syracuse Post-Standard, the New York State Health Department found St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center negligent and rebuked them for not adequately looking into how the mistake of such proportion was made, CBS News reported.
Colleen S. Burns, who overdosed on Xanax, Benadryl and a muscle relaxant, was reportedly admitted into St. Joseph's emergency department in 2009.
Hospital notes revealed that the doctors thought that Burns underwent 'cardiac death,' and after consulting with her family, they decided to withdraw life support and donate her organs.
In fact what happened was that Burns went into a deep coma and had not suffered any irreversible lasting brain damage.
It was discovered by the Health Department that the staff didn't take recommended steps to halt the drugs from getting absorbed in Burns' stomach and intestines, neither did they conduct a test to see if she was free of all drugs, in addition they did not complete enough brain scans.
Even her doctors didn't take heed to a nurse's note that stated that Burns was not brain dead and in fact was getting better.
Despite all the signs that she was still alive and her brain was still functioning, a nurse injected her with a sedative and failed to note it on the chart. (ANI)