Death toll from floods in Jordan rises to 11

Last Updated: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 17:42 hrs

[Jordan], Nov 10 (ANI/Sputnik): The number of fatalities from mudslides caused by floods in Jordan has climbed to 11, the Jordanian government spokeswoman, Jumana Ghunaimat, said in a statement on Saturday.

The floods have affected Jordanian western province of Madaba and southeastern province of Maan. Seven people were reported dead before.

"The relevant services have rescued two citizens in the Al-Wala area ... The rescuers have also found the body of one of those people who had been registered as missing, and thus the number of fatalities has climbed to 11," Ghunaimat said.

She went on to say that hundreds of civil defence servicemen were currently engaged in search and rescue operations. Two people are currently reported missing.

On Friday, all the visitors of the Petra Archaeological Park in southern Jordan have been evacuated and the site has been closed amid the heavy rains and flooding. The number of those evacuated reached 3,700, according to local media reports. (ANI/Sputnik)



More from Sify: