Dehradun: Uttarakhand Disaster Management Minister Yashpal Arya on Sunday said the death toll in flood-ravaged hilly state is around 1000.
"According to data available to us, the death toll is around 1000," Arya said.
Arya further said that around one lakh pilgrims have been moved to safe places and added that directions have been given to conduct DNA test of dead bodies that have been recovered.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Saturday said that over 900 people have lost their lives as per the reports received by him, and added that over one lakh five thousand people have so far been evacuated.
Shinde further said that the combing operations would be carried out in the next three to four days to make sure that none are still stranded.
"The Government of India is providing all assistance. We have also formulated a scheme of Rs. 1,95,000 for Uttarakhand," he added.
He further said that priority would be given to evacuate the sick, old and disabled people, a large number of whom are stranded in the Badrinath area.
Shinde, who also reviewed rescue and relief operations, gave an assurance that IAF choppers will remain in the hill state for another 15 days and continue to provide support.
Meanwhile, an eight member team of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) will visit Kedarnath temple today. The team will assess the damage to the historical and temple caused by the flash flood and submits its report to the government.
Team members reached Dehradun yesterday and met Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna. He asked the ASI experts to prepare a work plan for the restoration of the temple.