Guwahati: The death toll in the serial bombings in India's north eastern state of Assam has risen to six with one person succumbing to his injuries overnight, officials said on Friday.
"The death toll so far is six, with one of the injured succumbing to his injuries at a hospital," Himanta Biswa Sarma, Assam government Spokesperson and Health Minister, said.
Three bombs rocked Assam's main city of Guwahati on Thursday - two of the explosions went off in crowded marketplaces, while the third blast was beside a roadside garbage bin.
Five people died on the spot, while 51 more were wounded in the serial bombings.
"The condition of at least four of the injured was stated to be critical," the minister said.
Police and authorities blamed the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) for the attacks although the rebel group has not owned responsibility for the blasts.
"The ULFA is behind the explosions and intended to create panic on new year's day," Assam police Chief G M Srivastava said.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, who arrived here soon after the blasts on a pre-scheduled visit, met the injured at the Guwahati Medical College Hospital on Friday.
Chidambaram is scheduled to hold a meeting of the Unified Command in Guwahati, to be attended by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, top police officials, besides army and paramilitary commanders, to review the security situation in the state.
Thursday's bombings comes after a wave of explosions on October 30, when 90 people were killed and 300 injured in a nine blasts in towns and cities across Assam, including three in Guwahati.