Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 24(Update:Mumbai building)

Source : ANI
Last Updated: Sat, Sep 28, 2013 10:31 hrs

The death toll from a building collapse in Mumbai has risen to 24, with more feared dead and scores trapped in the rubble as rescue operations continued on Saturday.

A five-storeyed apartment block collapsed on Friday.

Rescuers worked into the night to pull out survivors and casualties from the concrete rubble. Employees of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (BMC) were housed in the building which was believed to be about 35 years old and housed 20 families.

Deputy Commandant of National Disaster Response Force, (NDRF), Sachidanand who is spearheading the rescue operations said many are still trapped and shouting for help.

"Till now the update is that we have rescued 56 people of which 32 were living and 24 dead. We can still hear some cries of help and we are trying to conduct the rescue operation accordingly," said Sachidanand.

The cause of the collapse was not known.

Mumbai mayor Sunil Prabhu said the block was not on an official list of dilapidated buildings.

In April, a building collapse killed 72 people in Thane, just outside Mumbai. Officials later said the structure had been built using poor materials and did not have proper approvals.

A shortage of cheap homes has led to a rise in illegal construction by developers who use substandard materials and shoddy methods and then offer cheap rents to low-paid workers.

A rise in property prices in densely populated Mumbai over the past five years has put affordable housing out of reach of tens of thousands of people, many of them migrants who move to the city for work. (ANI)




More from Sify: