Delhi: 13-year-old gang-raped, attempts suicide

Last Updated: Sat, Apr 20, 2013 21:08 hrs

New Delhi: A 13-year-old girl attempted suicide on Saturday after being allegedly gang-raped by eight men, four of whom are known to her. She is in ICU in serious condition, the family said.

Three of the accused have been arrested, police said on Saturday.

The girl, who was abducted March 15 by the men and released after nine days, consumed an overdose of sleeping pills in the morning at her house in Farsh Bazar area in east Delhi.

She is admitted in hospital in east Delhi. "She is in serious condition," her mother told IANS. She said that her daughter was upset after watching on TV reports of the brutal rape of the five-year-old girl in east Delhi.

The girl's family has complained of police apathy in the case.

The incident comes even as the capital is witnessing outrage over the rape of a five-year-old girl whose family has alleged that Delhi Police tried to bribe them with Rs.2,000 to hush up the rape. Three Delhi Police officials, including an Assistant Commissioner of Police, have been suspended for failing to act promptly in the rape case or behaving properly with protesters.

The 13-year-old and her 12-year-old brother were abducted by two men known to her on March 15 from outside her house at Farsh Bazar area in east Delhi and taken to Loni in the city outskirts. There six accomplices of the two abductors joined them and raped the girl in a house, a police officer said. The boy was released the next day.

Police arrested three accused - Deepak, 21, Ranjeet (20) and Sohan Lal (24) - on Saturday, following medical examination of the girl April 15.

Police claim that the father approached police after she went missing, but did not file a rape complaint after she returned home.

But the girl's family has alleged that police had refused to lodge their rape complaint.

The girl's mother told IANS that her daughter returned home after nine days on March 24. However, police failed to act on the missing person complaint and conduct a search for the girl.

After the girl returned home, the parents approached police to file a rape case, the mother told IANS.

A search is on to nab the other accused, the officer added.

Delhi has seen 393 rapes in the first three months of the year.

More from Sify: