New Delhi: The eyewitness and male friend of the 23-year-old paramedical student, who was gangraped in a moving bus here on Sunday night, on Wednesday recorded his statement before a Delhi court.
The 28-year-old software engineer, who along with the girl was allegedly brutally assaulted by the six offenders with an iron rod and was later thrown out of the moving bus, appeared before Metropolitan Magistrate Prashant Sharma to give his eyewitness account of the incident.
The statement of the youth, who is also the complainant in the case, was recorded by the magistrate in his chamber and went on for over three hours. The documents and the file containing his statement was later kept in a sealed envelope.
The victim's friend appeared before the court on its summons to him on Delhi Police's plea for its direction for recording of his statement under section 164 (recording of confession and statement) of the CrPC, as he was the eyewitness and also the victim of the alleged incident.
The statement recorded by a magistrate under section 164 of CrPC bind the accused/witness against taking any u-turn by him during trial and any such act makes him liable to be prosecuted on charges of perjury.
Both the victim and her friend, who had boarded the chartered bus with tinted-glass windows at Munirka in South Delhi around 9.45 PM on Sunday night, were assaulted with an iron rod by the men as the two objected to their misbehaviour with them, the police had said.
The assailants later had dumped them on road side near Mahipalpur flyover near Palam in South West Delhi after gangraping the girl and beating up her male friend, the police had said.
So far the police has arrested four accused, out of which three are in police custody till December 23 and the fourth one has been remanded in 14-days' judicial custody to Tihar jail for Test Identification Parade.
The police has also claimed to have arrested the fifth accused from Bihar while the sixth one is still on run.
I want to live: Delhi rape victim
As the nation reacted with outrage and prayed for the recovery of the raped and brutalized rape victim of Delhi, reports said the 23-year-old girl who gained consciousness but remain critical said she "wants to live".
"I want to live, mother," she was quoted saying by a relative to TV channel Headlines Today.
She communicated the words by writing in the ICU of Safdarjung Hospital, reports said.
However, her condition is critical and she underwent operation after operation and latest reports said her condition only deteriorated.
Doctors have not yet assured that she would survive. Her abdominal injures and ruptured intestines were a major concern for doctors.
Doctors remove victim's gangrenous small intestine; she undergoes fifth surgery
The 23-year-old paramedical student, who was gangraped and tortured in a moving bus on Sunday night, on Wednesday underwent fifth surgery and "continues to be critical but stable", doctors attending on her said.
Doctors at the Safdarjung hospital where she is undergoing treatment performed an elective abdominal surgery --gastronomy and duodenustromy -- and surgeons had to remove her gangrenous small intestine. They said she has lost most of here intestine.
"This was a planned surgery and at this juncture she is responding to treatment fairly well, she is stable but she continues to be critical," Dr B D Athani, Medical Superintendent of the hospital, said.
The girl, who remains on ventilatory support, was taken to operation theatre at 10 AM and was shifted to ICU at around 1 PM after surgery. Doctors said she had withstood the operation fairly well.
"She is fairly stable at this juncture and we have to wait and watch. We would observe for the stability for next few hours," she said.
"Before going for surgery, she was quite alert and spoke to her mother and brother as at that time there was no tube so she utilised that opportunity but her father didn't go inside," doctors said.
Athani said that yesterday also her level of alertness was good but today since she is recovering from anaesthesia, she is "not communicating nor are we are trying to communicate".
"Her abdomen has been cleaned and it has been closed today. Because most of the intestine, almost all portion, I would say, because of the initial loss and subsequent gangrene is not existent," he said.
Doctors said that Duodenum, which is the first part of the intestine, has been brought out of the stomach and a tube has been put into drain out whatever secretions are there.
She is being fed intravenously. She is getting feeding as well as antibiotics and all her essential drugs through intravenous route.
One of the accused says 'hang me'
Faced with widespread outrage over the brutal rape and assault of a young paramedical student, the Government on Wednesday announced a slew of measures to instill confidence among people even as a fifth person was detained in Bihar, while another accused said "hang me".
Taking suo motu cognizance of the gang-rape of the 23-year-old girl in a moving bus here on Sunday night, the Delhi High Court pulled up the city police asking how the offence remained undetected.
Police detained Akshay Thakur, one of the six accused, from Aurangabad in Bihar and he is being brought to Delhi.
Three of the four people already arrested in the case were produced before a court which sent two of them - Vinay Sharma, an assistant gym instructor, and Pawan Gupta, a fruit seller - to four-day police custody and Mukesh, the brother of driver Ram Singh who was also arrested, to 14-day judicial custody for undergoing Test Identification Parade.
Vinay and Pawan, however, have refused to undergo TIP.
When the judge asked whether they would volunteer to undergo TIP and if not why, Vinay said, "I had beaten up the boy but did nothing with the girl" and went on to say "mujhe faansi de do (hang me)", while Pawan told the court, "I do not want to undergo TIP as I have committed a heinous act".